Yet another condensate freezing problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiah folks, first post here.... although I've been lurking here for a while.

We got our old combi boiler switched to a condensing boiler 6 years ago when we got the kitchen re-done. It was fine until 2 years ago when we had the freezing problem.

Basically the builders who put it in had no idea what they were doing as they drilled directly through the wall underneath the boiler and fitted a 22mm copper pipe from the condensate outlet on the boiler, through the wall and then vertically down (about 1.5m) to the patio.

The condensate has left a lovely stain on the patio but I'm more concerned about the 1.5m of copper pipe freezing.

They did leave space to route the pipework internally, down the inside wall and along above the skirting board (next to the hot water pipes) and along past the kitchen sink and drain.

I thought I could simply re plumb this via the internal route with pvc pipe to the drain but the problem with that plan is that where the pipework ends up is about 10cm lower than the lowest point the drain reaches before going out the wall.

So my questions are:

#1, if I replace the copper pipe directly with PVC but leave it where is it (sufficiently lagged etc..) could that stop the freezing?

#2, if not, is the 10cm of upwards travel acceptable.... (probably not) and if not what would you guys recommend as a solution. I've seen pumps and trace cable online but the prices are above when I really want to be paying.

I guess as a last resort I could get one of those big*** drill bits and drill another output through the 1' thick plaster - breezeblock - insulation - brick - cement facing, but I would rather look at all the alternatives first.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Essentially the pipe needs to run to a drain or soakaway nowhere else.
The pipe should be in plastic all the way with a constant fall like any other waste pipe. Any pipe outside should be upgraded in size or well insulated with weather proof insulation. I prefer to just run 1 1/2" on any external runs but each to their own.... You can use a condense pump to overcome difficulties.
A job done properly costs what it costs. You can always re-bodge it on the cheap but whats the point?
When I see copper pipe for condense I know its either an illegal install, a DIY disaster or something by some other clueless muppet. I'd be very concerned about what else they got wrong if something this basic is incorrect.

Essentially the pipe needs to run to a drain or soakaway nowhere else.

Thanks, I guess that'll have to be the drain then.

The pipe should be in plastic all the way with a constant fall like any other waste pipe. Any pipe outside should be upgraded in size or well insulated with weather proof insulation. I prefer to just run 1 1/2" on any external runs but each to their own.... You can use a condense pump to overcome difficulties.

The constant fall could be tough but I think I've come up with a solution. Means I would have to drill through the wall but the external pipework would only be about 30cm long or less and could be lagged.

A job done properly costs what it costs. You can always re-bodge it on the cheap but whats the point?
When I see copper pipe for condense I know its either an illegal install, a DIY disaster or something by some other clueless muppet. I'd be very concerned about what else they got wrong if something this basic is incorrect.

I like to do a job properly thus my being here. And you're right to presume they got other things wrong. I won't mention all of them but they include..... not using damp course, boiler timer incorrectly wired so boiler only comes on when both the central heating AND hot water tank are cold, badly fitted kitchen units etc..... and putting waste materials under floorboards.

EDIT: To carry out the fix I'm currently thinking about I need to drill through a 24cm thick wall for the pipe to pass through. I'll probably have to use 22mm pipe due to the space the builders have left so I'll make sure to lag it correctly.

How would you recommend I get a 22mm hole in a 24cm wall? I'm struggling to find drill bits that big :LOL:

for normal condense pipe which is 21.5mm you ideally need to drill a hole of about 25mm. I use a 300x12mm pilot drill and the drill either side with a long 25mm drill. I don't know what you have access to but thats what I do. A short exterior section of 21.5mm plastic should be ok, but be sure to insulate it well.

Sponsored Links
for normal condense pipe which is 21.5mm you ideally need to drill a hole of about 25mm. I use a 300x12mm pilot drill and the drill either side with a long 25mm drill. I don't know what you have access to but thats what I do. A short exterior section of 21.5mm plastic should be ok, but be sure to insulate it well.

Thanks mate.

Where would you recommend I buy those drill bits from?

Right guys, I'm halfway through the job but I've come across a problem.

The plumbers who put it in have broken the plastic thread where the condensate comes out and used extensive amounts of plumbers tape to fix it.

Its just the bottom part of the plastic thread that's broken though and there was a plastic spacer used with the part used to connect to the pipe, so if I remove the plastic spacer there should be enough thread to screw onto.

Here's a picture of the parts:
IMG_20111111_131619.jpg

The part on the left is the plastic spacer that I will remove, the middle part is what was broken off the thread and the part on the right is what I need a replacement for as they have used so much solder on it I can't restore it.

Here is a picture of the inside of the thread that connects to the boiler.
It measures approx 29-34mm inside the thread.

The other side is just a compression fitting for a 22mm pipe.
IMG_20111111_131634.jpg

Is there anywhere I can get a replacement today of is it order only?

I don't even know what it's called :LOL:

EDIT: Seems to be a 29-34mm (not sure which measurement, the amount of solder stops proper measurements) female to 22mm compression.

EDIT: Ordered the part for Monday so I've done the rest of the job and put a funnel when the part will go just to keep the house warm over the weekend.

i was gonna suggest a photo of the boiler connection rather than the broken bits ! It looks like that nut and bit of thread are from a box shaped condense trap screwed to the bottom of the chassis, maybe a baxi or potty heat only?
Anyway sounds like you might have it sorted. good luck!

i was gonna suggest a photo of the boiler connection rather than the broken bits ! It looks like that nut and bit of thread are from a box shaped condense trap screwed to the bottom of the chassis, maybe a baxi or potty heat only?
Anyway sounds like you might have it sorted. good luck!

The guy in the shop said it was unusual to have that connection on the boiler as the outflow but he's ordered the part so I should be all set for Monday.

Thanks to you and all the people who posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back