Yet another cordless power tool question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My trusty 10.8v makita set is giving up the ghost after about 10years so its time for a replacement.
I class myself as heavy use diy and ideally want a system where I can add tools as and when I need them.

To start with I want a combi drill driver and probably a circular saw.
Not really sure I need an impact driver but most sets seem to have them.

Other tools I would eventually like are a grinder and a jigsaw.

For what I do would I be better off going for a 12v ( but with more batteries) or 18v

Brands I am looking at are Hikoki, makita possible dewault and as an outsider worx ( I have a corded 115mm circular saw that I love)

Like everyone money is tight but I definitely dont want to buy cheap buy twice.

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
12v and 10.8 is the same they just choose the battery voltage after charging when its 20% more than the 3x3.6v off 10.8v as fully charge at around 13v
lots do 10.8/12v
dewalt use only the big square battery format where as makita bosch and a few others have both the compact round and some with the larger square battery base

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I am more interested in whether for a diy use ( generally one tool at a time) 12v would suffice? Are the 18v more powerful than the 12v or do they just last longer?
Also is it worth paying the extra for brushless?

Sponsored Links
the 10.8/12v is off course 60% off the power off 18v
you need 18v for grinders' routers,circ saw and similar all available in 12v as i have the bosch blue ones they are for compact light work where compact size and lightness is off greater value than heavy duty fast work
12v tend to be lower geared so do perhaps 70- 80% off the lighter stuff an 18 will do but at a much slower speed
the other thing is cost 18v costs about twice the price as a higher power tool

12v and 10.8 is the same they just choose the battery voltage after charging when its 20% more than the 3x3.6v off 10.8v as fully charge at around 13v
lots do 10.8/12v
dewalt use only the big square battery format where as makita bosch and a few others have both the compact round and some with the larger square battery base
Not seen any round compact batteries unless you mean the older style ?
Neither round or compact though.

Not seen any round compact batteries unless you mean the older style ?
Neither round or compact though.
Milwaukee or Bosch? Small batteries

Milwaukee M12PPDXKIT  002.jpg

as opposed to the higher capacity ones:
Milwaukee M12PPDXKIT  003.jpg

I have a Milwaukee M12FPDXKIT with an M12JS and an M12FQID oil impact driver and I've been pleased with them, but they don't replace my Makita LXT 18 volt kit

To start with I want a combi drill driver and probably a circular saw.
Not really sure I need an impact driver but most sets seem to have them.

Other tools I would eventually like are a grinder and a jigsaw.

For what I do would I be better off going for a 12v ( but with more batteries) or 18v
I am more interested in whether for a diy use ( generally one tool at a time) 12v would suffice? Are the 18v more powerful than the 12v or do they just last longer?
Also is it worth paying the extra for brushless?
!8 volt tools are more powerful than 12 volt tools, so it isn't just a question of run time.

Cordless grinders are only available if you go to 18 volt, however, from personal experience I'd say that unless you opt for a brushless model with several high amperage batteries (5Ah and above) you will struggle to grind or cut much with one - and they are no substitute for a corded tool if you are doing heavy cutting or grinding (such as mortar raking, cutting steel plate, etc). If all you are doing is pinging off the odd protruding bolt or removing a few nail heads where a soffit board was then a cordless (even a brushed one) will do the job, just don't expect long battery duration, especially with brushed models. However, if you want to cut 100 x 100 x 3mm angle steel section you are into corded country unless you feel inclined to buy at least 3 no 5Ah batteries and ideally a brushless grinder (so £250 plus for that alone without a charger).

Similarly, whilst there are 12 volt saws around (for example Milwaukee do a really nice one)
Milwaukee M12 CS44 Saw.jpg

they are a bit more limited in capacity than an equivalent 18 volt saw such as the Makita DHS680:
Makita DHS680 Saw.png

with 44mm depth of cut (Milwaukee) vs. 57mm (Makita) at 90 degrees. Having had earlier brushed 18 volt cordless saws I'd point out that they are low powered and struggle on heavy cuts in comparison with the brushed models - they can cut 18mm plywood and 3 x 2 CLS, but you aren't going to be able to trim a 44mm fire door to length with one. I went from a Makita DSS610 (brushed) to a DHS680 (brushless) about 5 years ago and it was like night and day - much more oomph, made cuts the brushed tool would baulk at and is generally a far more useful tool. In budget terms, though, a corded saw still wins hands down as I could buy a "branded" 190mm corded saw for less dosh than a 165mm cordless would cost BARE (circa £150)

Combi drills are OK, but the lower priced ones have nylon gears and plastic gearboxes, so they are limited in what they can drill. If you driull a lot of heavier stuff you would be better off going for a top of the range model with a metal gearbox and metal gears, or better still a drill and an SDS drill. Brushless gives you more power and better run time, but it does cost more.

Finally cordless jigsaws are great. Again the brushless ones have far better run time (I went from a Makita DJV180 to a DJV181 - more because I wanted a body grip for doing scribes and my 180 was by then 7 or 8 years old) and a bit more capacity. One plus of the 18 volt ones over 12 volt ones like the Milkwaukee M12JS
Milwaukee M12JS Jigsaw.jpg

is that the 18 bolt tools have variable orbit - the 12 volt ones don't seem have this feature, but they are a lot more compact and can get into far smaller spaces than their 18 volt cousins

Finally batteries - the trade brands like Makita and Milwaukee will support their tools for the foreseeable future with parts and batteries available for years to come, but they cost more. Will lower grade brands like Erbauer or Worx offer that continuity?

Comments based on my own experience of using Makita LXT 18 volt for about 12 or 13 years and Milwaukee M12 for 2 years. I have used equivalent Bosch 10.8 volt and DW 18 volt stuff and they seem just as competent, theyjusty didn't offer a brushless repleceable head drill when I bought my Milwaukee (nor an oil impact driver)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosch 12v. And watch Amazon and the various tools frequently go on offer for really cheap prices - except the planer which seems to stay high.

Or DVS on ebay, who regularly take part in ebay's 20% off promotions

I have the Dewalt DCG405 18v brushless cordless Grinder, and I was surprised just how short the battery life was with a 5Ah battery.
I did cut a few porcelain tiles , maybe 8
Also I have some 10mm coach bolts in a wall , and needed to cut those, and managed about 10 before the battery was low

I also saw recently a comparison between the Milwaukee M12 and the Dewalt 18v on youtube, and the Milwaukee came out really well in comparison - i cant find the article or video at the moment

the dewalt grinder is about 900w
a 5ah battery contains 5 amp 18v x 60 mins 5x18x60 =5400wm for 1 minute so at 900w will last under 6 mins allowing for transmission losses a lighter 400w load perhaps 11 mins and very light say 240w perhaps approaching 20 mins
on the same token a 12[10.8v]5 amp battery will have far less stored energy but will be on max draw for far more off the time as people push to make it do 18 v stuff so will last for mins or mere seconds per battey hence the the frustration trying to overload the tool
10.8x5x60=3240wm[watt minuets]
but the more normal 2amp contains only 1296wm

I am still using my 12v Milwaukee batteries from 2008. Trade use, so well abused.
Can't fault any of their stuff, had 28v and now mainly 18v. Up to 12Ah batteries. 9" grinder is a brute. SDS drill handles a 4½" core drill well.

I class myself as heavy use diy and ideally want a system where I can add tools as and when I need them.

Makita 18 volt platform for the power/weight balance, plus the wide range of tools offered. Their 12 volt tools are good too, have not tried the 40 volt.

Blup

Ive had three Milwaukee M18 circular saws in 5 years and on my third angle grinder, second impact driver.. getting repaired isn't that straightforward if you need the tools now.
we have some makita stuff which have been trouble free.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for not replying earlier ( I didnt get/see the alerts)
Some really detailed info there.
Looking at the replies I think I would downgrade my usuage to DIY. For instance the most common use for the saw would be cutting up pallets for kindling. The drill/driver will get the most use ( my little makita sounds like the clutch is going)I dont do a huge amount but I would rather invest in good kit once than cheap kit twice. My current thinking is to get drill and a saw as its fairly rare i need an impact driver and my little one is still fine. I think i will have a look the sales. ITS seem to be good. It comes down to that compromise of price and quality.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back