Yet another localised breakout but hey, let’s not say anything....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I accept that. Not splitting hairs; two totally separate hairs.

Does it stand for as Good As You or is that a myth?
I could call you gay for going out with woman. Would you split hairs about it?
Totally irrelevant though.

Only because of misuse due to ignorance becoming so common place.
But it does evolve, like it or not.

Sponsored Links
I think because 'thousands' lined the streets for some English footballers funeral instead of just hundreds.:)
Ah, so what you're saying is that muslims are following the rules more closely than football fans...

Gotcha (y)

But it does evolve, like it or not.
Only because of ignorance - or intention for ulterior motives.

Let's help stamp out ignorance and ulterior motives.

Do you believe this? If not; why not?

upload_2020-8-3_16-56-27.png

Sponsored Links
So it is not actually the football that they dislike.
Football: the game, the sport, the whole concept, the matches, the profession, the business?
Which of those aspects are you referring to as 'football'?
No need to answer, as I'm ambivalent to football ( the profession, the business, the matches and the fans, but I quite enjoy playing the game, any sport really.) I don't know which particular aspect others dislike. I've never polled them.

I will for this discussion accept the (semantically incorrect) general usage of 'phobia'.
OK. But I don't accept that accept that it's semantically incorrect. If it's in general use, then it is what it is.
Again, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.

, but that religionophobia must include islamophobia.
As it would include Christianophobia, or Catholicophobia, or Judaismophobia.
But as religionophobia, Christianophobia, Catholicophobia and Judaismophobia don't exist as words, it's a hypothetical and pointless discussion.

Not to disguise, as such, but I would think the words are (mis)used intentionally to confuse people because when words are misused it is unclear what is actually meant.
You mean like, as an example, "it is not actually the football that they dislike"?
I always thought that was ambiguity, not being clear about the meaning of the sentence.

Either that or it is the case that people of influence in the media are not actually intelligent enough to know what the words mean nor, therefore, do their job properly.
So you think that people in the media are either, a) intentionally misusing words to confuse the population, or b) don't know the meaning of words, or c) not doing their job properly, or d) trying to change the meaning of words?

I don't fight the tide.
Ok. So, put up with any old rubbish if you want. Slapdash springs to mind.
I presume you don't need accuracy in your line of business.

PS 'ulterior motives' makes you sound like a conspiracy nut. ;)
Not if I am right.

A very odd state of affairs.

If someone misuses a word and I point out that mistake, why am I the one who must change?

No it doesn't. It means an attraction to pre-pubescent children.
It also means a recurrent and intense sexual desire, involving fantasies about prepubescent children that have either been acted upon or which cause the person with the attraction distress or interpersonal difficulty
So an awful lot of 'pedophiles' as described by media, etc, are not really pedophiles.

Thank heavens for popular usage:
In popular usage, the word pedophilia is often applied to any sexual interest in children or the act of child sexual abuse. This use conflates the sexual attraction to prepubescent children with the act of child sexual abuse and fails to distinguish between attraction to prepubescent and pubescent or post-pubescent minors. Researchers recommend that these imprecise uses be avoided, because although some people who commit child sexual abuse are pedophiles, child sexual abuse offenders are not pedophiles unless they have a primary or exclusive sexual interest in prepubescent children, and some pedophiles do not molest children.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia

Ok. So, put up with any old rubbish if you want. Slapdash springs to mind.
I presume you don't need accuracy in your line of business.
I think you know full well that ITMinion was referring to popular use of words and their evolution of meaning, not to all things.

Not if I am right.

A very odd state of affairs.

If someone misuses a word and I point out that mistake, why am I the one who must change?
You'll need to provide some reliable evidence to support your theories.

Ah, so what you're saying is that muslims are following the rules more closely than football fans...
Or you could say they are following the rules less worse than football fans. Both still wrong though.

And yet one event is widely celebrated whilst the other is frowned upon (at least in certain quarters)...

I wonder what the difference is?

Or you could say they are following the rules less worse than football fans. Both still wrong though.
Maybe I'll join in the discussion when you all come round for the third time. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back