yet another part P question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all, been a long-time lurker & have gained a lot of valuable info from here. i've finally decided to join up.

have been renovating an old house for a number of years so hopefully can share some of my experienced and (in some cases hard earned) knowlege.

anyway, a part P question.

i've just had my garage rebuilt & want to get power & lighting out there. becasue its new wiring and is a garage i understand its notifiable

i don't really want to spend a fortune on it so wanted to do as much as possible myself. i intend fitting 2 x ceiling rose and 3 x 2 gang sockets

i have an armoured cable extending from the house into the garage (this was used in the old garage which i knocked down, it extends from the main consumer unit, via an RCD but is not connected at present)

the bit i'll get a sparky in to do is adding a mini MCB and connecting the armoured cable up to the main power from the house

at what point do i need to notify my LABC

....before i start doing anything?
....once i've got the work i'm doing finished in but before i get a sparky in?
...once all the work is done?

basically, what's the process from the point i'm at now to the point where i can walk in, switch the light on & plug something in!

Sponsored Links
You need to notify your LABC before you start doing any electrical work and pay their fee so they can oversee compliance with part p of the building regulations,
or you need to employ an electrician who is a member of a competent person scheme and let them oversee compliance with part p of the building regs, this way you don't need to pay the LABC fee.

thanks for the info spark.

what happens next if i install the wiring, will they inspect the wiring i've done before i get a sparky in to fit the MCB?

If you've already paid the LABC, why not do everything yourself and save some money?

Sponsored Links
whilst i will admit i'd find that a little scary to do, i'd be willing to do it.

the truth of it is, mrs johnnybalance has put her foot down & said we'll be getting a qualified sparky in...so that was the end of that discussion :LOL:

In which case, why not get a quote for the whole lot and then compare it to the cost of notifying LABC plus electrician?

i've just had my garage rebuilt
Out of what, and how far from the property boundary? If you've already notified the council regarding this building, what did you tell them you'd be doing to comply with Part P?

have been renovating an old house for a number of years
Have you done any notifiable electrical work since Jan 1st 2005?

garage is breeze blocks with outer skin of render & slate pitched roof (its probably better quality build than my kitchen!)

the building of this garage fell within allowed limits for not notifying, so we've not notified them of anything regarding this building

i've not done any notifiable electrical work myself but an electrician has done a fairly large amount of work to the property within this timeframe (i'd have to check the exact dates to be 100% sure of this but i'm about 95% sure)

what's the significance if work has been carried out since 01/01/2005? (and i know its probably been asked before but i have to ask, what's the problem with sheds chap? :) )

what's the significance if work has been carried out since 01/01/2005?
That's when Part P came into force.

(and i know its probably been asked before but i have to ask, what's the problem with sheds chap? :) )
I mean this:

banfv7.jpg

not this:

nobanhd9.jpg

;)

i've just had my garage rebuilt & want to get power & lighting out there. becasue its new wiring and is a garage i understand its notifiable

i have an armoured cable extending from the house into the garage (this was used in the old garage which i knocked down, it extends from the main consumer unit, via an RCD but is not connected at present)

A detached garage is not a special location, so you don't have to notify work done within it.

If you had to lay a new cable to the garage, that would be notifiable, but as you have an existing cable you can use that and thus the whole job can be done without notification.

Slightly dubious, as a cable on it's own isn't a circuit, so an existing cable on it's own isn't an existing circuit.

The OP kept saying he was going to get a sparky to add an MCB, so this clearly is just a cable on its own.

And it's been through use, disuse, demolition and building work - it really should be checked, and I doubt that he can do that.

Also, a much better design than FCU(s) in the garage would be a small CU, which is notifiable.

Slightly dubious, as a cable on it's own isn't a circuit, so an existing cable on it's own isn't an existing circuit.

I suggest you look up the definition of 'Circuit' in Part 2 and then look up the definition of 'Electrical Equipment' just after. And then look up the definition of 'Wiring System'.

You might then wish to correct the above statement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back