Yew log seasoning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Managed to pick up a small yew log, (roughly 24" long x about 5"-6" diameter. Freshly cut this morning so I know I need to 'dry' it out/season it.
Anyone know the best way to do it with least possibility of it splitting/cracking as it dries out?
I know it will take some time so not expecting to be able to use it for a year or so. Some videos on YT say to split them down the centre and remove the pith but that seems to defeat my idea of having a 'dark' centre and lighter outer to work on. Others say cut it down to the 'blank' sizes I want and then wax the ends to reduce evaporation and others say some oil based paint is just as good.

Sponsored Links
If you intend to use it for turning you could treat it with PEG. I reckon that wax is possibly a bit more effective than modern water-based gloss, but there's probably not much in it for oil based paints

If you intend to use it for turning you could treat it with PEG. I reckon that wax is possibly a bit more effective than modern water-based gloss, but there's probably not much in it for oil based paints

Showing my ignorance. What is PEG?

Polyethylene glycol. If you submerge timber in a solution of PEG it displaces the water in the wood over time. Amongst other things it has been used on is the Mary Rose preservation. Obtainable from turners' suppliers (turners have used it to season turning timbers since at least the 1970s). Read the CoSHH sheets, though, as some people are allergic to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back