Yorkshire fittings / pre soldered rings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am doing my plumbing for the sink this weekend and i am using yorkshire fittings, the ones with a pre soldered ring on them, primarilyl as i have never used solder before, so felt it would be easier.

Is it best to put the pipework into the clips on the wall before soldering on elbows etc? I assume i just 'build my pipe' and then solder once in position?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yep, add some flux first on spotlessly clean pipe, guard the wall with a heat mat and away you go.
I hang a pair of Mole grips on the pipe as a heat sink if the heat mustn’t travel.
John :)

Yep, add some flux first on spotlessly clean pipe, guard the wall with a heat mat and away you go.
I hang a pair of Mole grips on the pipe as a heat sink if the heat mustn’t travel.

I plan on using a heat gun with a deflector - does this mean i don't need a heat mat?

cheers

+1 ... do everything dry (setting out), clips and all.

Once it all fits and goes the way you want it, demount, clean and flux.

A little trick with flux .... either use a brush or your finger and run a ring around the pipe about up to half way up where the fitting reaches when on the pipe, spin the pipe or fitting a few times to allow it to coat the joint area well, then run a finger around the fitting end to remove the excess flux. Cleaning the excess away stops the solder being pulled too far out of the fitting and giving you snots.

Another thing with yorkies, there is more than enough solder in the fitting, no more is need as a 'just in case'. Once it pools around the edge that's it. 15mm doesn't need the torch roaring, actually neither does 22mm TBH but it needs a bit more heat than 15mm.

Sponsored Links
I’ve never ever used a heat gun for soldering, only propane or Mapp....comments anyone?

the guy on youtube called 'ultimate handyman' says its possible with heat gun but takes approx 2 mins?

I guess that may be possible with a straight connector of 10 or 15mm, but I think you’d have real problems with a tee and 22mm would be nigh on impossible.
Lets hear what the others think!

Life's toooo busy to wait for a heat gun to get it hot enough, if it's getting soldered then it really needs to be a torch. Could never guarantee it would be hot enough for the solder to take properly, it might run but it might not hold.

Could you link me to a decent torch at a cheap as possible price? Not sure what to go for?

Cheers muggles. I decided to with wit the one you suggested as I may use it in the future also,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back