Yorkshires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to put yorkshires fittings on all new rads in the house.
Am I right in saying that all you need to do is liberally smother the pipes with flux, heat the fitting and as soon as the solder pops out, remove the heat and wipe away excess with a brush or cloth.

Any other tips. I used to run an extra bit of solder around them, this was probably unecessary though.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Will do thanks.

For awkward concealed work, can you just apply the heat - wait for the solder and leave?

Yes - darned tempting to add a bit isn't it!
Cleanliness is key - get one of those wire brush things for cleaning inside and out.
17048.gif

Full cover with the flux but keep it mean. Some makes say "wipe off excess" before soldering. I suggest LaCo, with a brush.
If you're doing say an elbow don't just heat the fitting, do one joint at a time, keep the heat moving and go onto the pipe a bit.
Start with the highest joint and move down.

Sponsored Links
Yes that tool is fantastic, such a time saver. I'm on Laco aswell, but smokers don'y like it, makes their ciggies taste funny. I too heat joint first until ring apears and then let flame lap over pipe to be sure it's penetrated properly. Never had a failure on Yorkshires, never added solder to them. I do only use them in tight corners where I feel safer doing so, most problem areas like the top of your 22 mm pipes as they turn the corner in the loft I put a bend on and solder further along the pipe with a socket where I can readily work on it and easily visually inspect it. If a T is required at a place like that, I solder it all up good before puting it in place as in the bend scenario, so there is no doubt about the T which later would be a ball ache to redo. 99% of my work is endfeed.

Unfortunately the numpties that I sometimes have working for me haven't understood this concept.

Strange , I thought la co was self cleaning...apart from really dirty/old pipe...worked for me, maybe I`m just another numpty..retired@ 50 though :LOL:

Yes laco is active, but not as active as everflux (which skins your hands red raw) so I clean the pipe and fitting, those special tools do an excellent job swiftly, non't burn and don't rust all your other tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back