You don't get a second chance!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first my i introduce myself.
my name is jonny,

i work as a labourer.
Ever since i had the accident i am forever checking and then re-checking equipment, the people i work near to and looking at safer systems of work.

let me start by just saying that DIY is DIY but the rules still apply when it comes to H&S.

October 2009
A normal day helping a friend cut up some lengths of timber with a Skill saw.
...I don't mean to start this like a series of casualty but im sure you can guess what's going to happen.

...Anyway
My friend had already cut though a 2m length of timber when he needed to turn it around to go the other way. here is were i step in.

i had to steady the end of the wood, standing at his 2.o.clock while he cut the wood.

he started up the saw, while the blade was up against the wood.. tut.
anyway it made him loose control of the skill saw and by reaction he pulled it over the back of my hand!

HERE IS IT 30 MINS AFTER:
please be aware that its not pretty!
for the comfort of others i haven't posted a direct picture!
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/091028_151613-1.jpg

anyway i had seven hours of surgery (3days after the accident!) but thats another issue!

Index finger, broken bone and ripped though tendons
Middle finger, broken bone and ripped though tendons
Ring finger, fractured bone and ripped though tendons
Photo0040.jpg

6months after i had more surgery to correct alinement's.
iv had Tenolysis operation of freeing a tendon from adhesion on the index knuckle (MPC 2nd)
and Arthrolysis 'surgical restoration by loosening the adhesion on the index knuckle (MPC 2nd)
100_2258.jpg

.. but unfortunatly it did nothing.

I am left with out being about to completely close my hand, And slight disfigurement to my knuckles and finger lengths.
Even almost a Year on i still am having therapy.

But i am lucky!

and im grateful for still having my hand.
i cannot explain to you the pain or thoughts but i can at least show you and tell you what can happen when things go wrong.

Be Safe guys.
Jonny.

Sponsored Links
and im grateful for still having my hand.
i cannot explain to you the pain or thoughts but i can at least show you and tell you what can happen when things go wrong.

Be Safe guys.
Jonny.

Yikes. You have my full sympathy. Aabout 18 months ago I managed to put a 9" cutting disc into the back of my left hand, while cutting stone. I was fortunate only to sever tendons, and break no bones, and after months of physio and the passage of time my hand is now pretty functional. Like you I am very happy still to have it, as I could very easily have taken half of it off. I still use power tools, but am a lot more circumspect!

Cheers
Richard

I still use power tools, but am a lot more circumspect!

Cheers
Richard

thats exactly why i posted. great to hear of your recovery.
i now have a fear of Skill saws. cant even look at them. makes me need to cover and hold my hand. very strange....
Oo look out heres one.
skillsaw.jpg

At work we use power tools and even now im very cautious. especially if others are using them. iv worked with some write idiots, but luckily im in a position to remove people from site.

since my accident it has made me realise how stupid i had been over the years at work. not thinking about what could happen, putting myself in dangerous situations etc. well we can only learn from our mistakes.

thanks for sharing your story.

Sponsored Links
Ouch. In this day and age, I suppose we don't give power tools the respect they deserve, as manual tools have been used for millenia. Using a manual wood saw, and it jumping and nearly cutting my thumb off, but today, no scars, and full use of my digits; a powertool won't take any prisoners, and in a position where it can't be switched off it doesn't have the presence of mind to say aw that hurts, I'll stop..Flesh and bone is as good a target as wood or metal.

But even so, something like a hammer - I'm excellent at knocking L shaped nails, and hammering my thumb, I still use one when required, and still hit my thumb. And still make L shaped nails. Surely someone invented a manual nail holder, and don't say nailgun!

Where there's blame . there's a claim mate. Did you seek compensation? If so , how much did you settle for?

Don't mean to sound mean or anything, but as it wasn't your fault, you should / could have claimed.

Where there's blame . there's a claim mate. Did you seek compensation? If so , how much did you settle for?

Don't mean to sound mean or anything, but as it wasn't your fault, you should / could have claimed.

Bit harsh suing his friend, that he was 'helping out'.

[quote="Innerbreed";p="1745790

well we can only learn from our mistakes.

thanks for sharing your story.[/quote]

Keep doing the physio, it's worth it. All the best for a good recovery. I'm now using my hand like a good 'un, and although I didn't have the added factor of bone damage, there's no reason why you shouldn't do the same.

Cheers
Richard

Don't mean to sound mean or anything, but as it wasn't your fault, you should / could have claimed.[/quote]

Bit harsh suing his friend, that he was 'helping out'.[/quote]

may not be harsh. Insurance cover may be available under friend's house insurance, and that's what we pay our premiums for.

I wonder if they could adapt the saw stop to a skill saw?
It is quite difficult engineering to make a portable version, I wouldn't count on it. The arrester/brake needs to push in and crumple, meaning it needs a fixed point at one end. Then it needs space to break away and retract with spring/damper absorption.

If it were possible which is unlikely due the forces involved it could turn one hazard into another. namely a flying saw stock.

It is actually Skilsaw not "skill". Skil is like Hoover. Produced an early version of the hand held circular saw.

I think that our delectable demonstrater could cut my throat and i would smile appreciation. Seeing as we are on the disaster site my advice is "do not get old or one becomes invisible to such fragrant minxes"

However, all table sawblades in the UK must have a guard over.

When ripping long lengths with a circular saw fix the piece, any helper must stand at the far end, to one side and only lightly grip the timber.
The saw must be at full power before the blade touches.

I'm so sorry to see what happened to you.

that vids got better
First time i see it it was and middle aged chap tried it then actually put his finger on it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back