Your advice for new mixer shower please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps, I hope one of you can help me.

Our mixer shower has given up the ghost and will not supply hot water. We use a combi boiler and the hot water in the rest of the system is fine, if a little low pressured ( we are on the second floor of an old block ).

I've spoken to a couple of plumbers who say that a valve has gone, and to replace the mixer.

However, all the ones I've been looking at on various websites are ones where the hot and cold pipes come through the wall, and the mixer bar fits onto them. Our one fixes to the wall as normal, but the pipes run outside the wall, and in through the 'legs' of the mixer, at 90degrees to the wall / bar.

Hopefully this is clear - what I need to know is if you have any advice on where to find one like this / the best one to get. I'm happy to replace the mixer bar but I don't fancy having to re-route pipes etc, and I can't seem to find one like ours.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello chaps, I hope one of you can help me.

Our mixer shower has given up the ghost and will not supply hot water. We use a combi boiler and the hot water in the rest of the system is fine, if a little low pressured ( we are on the second floor of an old block ).

I've spoken to a couple of plumbers who say that a valve has gone, and to replace the mixer.

maybe just a blocked filter or the cartridge has failed.

maybe just a blocked filter or the cartridge has failed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I guess thats what the plumber said, but I don't know if these are standard parts or if they are easily available. I was just thinking it might be easier to replace the mixer bar.

I've been trying to find info on this, but I'll be happy to take your advice about replacing these parts.

Yeah, I guess thats what the plumber said, but I don't know if these are standard parts or if they are easily available. I was just thinking it might be easier to replace the mixer bar.

do you know what mixer valve make/model it is ?
what type is it a bar mixer etc ?

Sponsored Links

do you know what mixer valve make/model it is ?
what type is it a bar mixer etc ?

Depending on the make/model, you might have a nice long warranty - Triton's come with a 5 year warranty, some come with 10+!!

Good luck!

Depending on the make/model, you might have a nice long warranty - Triton's come with a 5 year warranty, some come with 10+!!

Well ok then! Does this look like a Triton to you?

IMG_4031.jpg

However, all the ones I've been looking at on various websites are ones where the hot and cold pipes come through the wall, and the mixer bar fits onto them. Our one fixes to the wall as normal, but the pipes run outside the wall, and in through the 'legs' of the mixer, at 90degrees to the wall / bar.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like your entire shower installation is visible, i.e. not embedded into the wall - in which case sounds like you would be best just investing in a new valve unit with warranty, these range from £50.00 upwards direct from the manufacturer with a 5yr warranty:

I just bought one, arrived the next day!!

http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/trit...n-products/clearance-deals/mixer-showers.aspx

Well ok then! Does this look like a Triton to you?

Can't help with the identification but I would suggest that replacing the filter on an old shower valve may cost as much as a new shower unit.

Buy a nice new externally mounted shower and due to your pipework, it'll be very easy to fit - if you don't want to touch copper you could always chop the existing pipework and refit using Speedfit into the shower enclosure. An evenings work!

Yeah thats what I was thinking, it is probably easiest to fit a new mixer than try to track down the right part. But can you see in the picture how the pipes attach? ie, not through the wall, but on the side. Will a new mixer fit on to these existing fixings?

that looks like a triton tyne bar mixer. ;)

Yay! Cheers seco. And thanks sergeant ash!

I'll see if I can speak to Triton, if not, I'll get a new mixer bar and fix that on.

Thanks for your help guys.

Good luck matey, Triton may actually supply a different fitment for whichever Valve you choose to allow external pipe entry.

Let us know how you get on!

'Allowing for external pipe entry'. So I know what I'm asking for now. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back