Your chance to laugh and point: Combi bashers unite!!

I don't want to alarm you but that wiring featured in pic2 and 3 which is wraped around the heating pipes is simply not safe and you need to move it ASAP.

Cheers. That wiring is currently isolated at the consumer unit with a big label on the MCB indicating there's a fault as it's the old immersion heater circuit and trips the breaker whenever it's on with a load attached (so much for the original idea of using it for the boiler feed!).

I tucked it up there only for the purposes of the photo - so it's not normally next to the heating pipes.

That wire might be the subject of a whole new thread..... there's some tracing to do and then I think a sparky will get a call.

Thanks though!

Leigh.

Sponsored Links
It would be nice to have a way to isolate/remove the combimate when you've decided you want rid of it because it's giving you trouble. I've come across far more disabled than used ones, and boilers full of crud caused by them on a couple of occasions.

DOn't leave that nasty chrome isolator on the shower feed. It'll probably be a cheapo type generally known as "ballofix" (after the original ones, which were expensive so nobody uses them). They leak, seize, restrict the pipe.... Use good quality full flow ball valves, with butterfly or lever handle.

I agree with you Ollie 100%
"I wouldn't have done it that way I'd have done it this way", is and always as and always will be a feature of the building trade.

Sponsored Links
I agree with you Ollie 100%
"I wouldn't have done it that way I'd have done it this way", is and always as and always will be a feature of the building trade.

Yep, but its so unprofessional to go and say it to a customer, unless its a compleate obortion and it cant be helped, but the job in this thred doesnt seem as bad as the guys are making out :cry:

Yep, but its so unprofessional to go and say it to a customer, unless its a compleate obortion and it cant be helped, but the job in this thred doesnt seem as bad as the guys are making out :cry:

I totally agree!

I have seen others do it and usually all it does is to reflect badly on the person running down others.

If the customer asks me or comments on anything then I will give my view on it but calmly and objectively.

Tony

Bit rich considering the first thing you usually do on here when someone has a problem is blame the nuptie installer :rolleyes:

You obviously see far to many of your dodgy landlords installations.

So calmly and objectively marks outta ten?

If I had quoted for that job,I,d stuck another grand on just to pizz the OP off,seems like a big headed knowall. Bet you he was behind the poor Plumbers back for the duration of the job. We,ve all met them.

There's nothing worst than an OP standing right behind you , not even talking to you, just looking. I've had this done to me on so many occasions. I don't mind someone staying there and chatting, it helps the day go by. But just standing there watching and waiting for me to do something wrong and point it out. Many times they haven't got a clue about anything-anyway. Then you always get the kids hanging around, this is when I tell the OP that due to heath & safety. No children to animals in the room where I am working.

Then you also get the OP tyring to look down the manhole when we are jetting, that's when we send them off to go and flush the toilets, at least twice. :LOL:

Notice to all customers.
LEAVE US ALONE TO GET ON WITH WHAT YOU HAVE CALL US FOR.

Rant Over

Andy

If I had quoted for that job,I,d stuck another grand on just to pizz the OP off,seems like a big headed knowall. Bet you he was behind the poor Plumbers back for the duration of the job. We,ve all met them.

I'm the OP and stand behind his back - nope. I made the tea. Oh and turned the water on and off...

I'm justa guy that researched what I wanted, asked for it in a quote and let the guys get on with it.

I spoke to the boss when he came round to make good the old boiler flue and finish the job - he said he was worried that this would be a job with a shadow, but he was relieved it hadn't worked out that way. He said the fitters were happy and that made him happy.

Us customers are not all bad. I paid on time and was a picture of patience when it came to the combimate wait...but then not all you fitters are bad ... eh?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There's nothing worst than an OP standing right behind you , not even talking to you, just looking. I've had this done to me on so many occasions. I don't mind someone staying there and chatting, it helps the day go by. But just standing there watching and waiting for me to do something wrong and point it out. Many times they haven't got a clue about anything-anyway. Then you always get the kids hanging around, this is when I tell the OP that due to heath & safety. No children to animals in the room where I am working.

Then you also get the OP tyring to look down the manhole when we are jetting, that's when we send them off to go and flush the toilets, at least twice. :LOL:

Notice to all customers.
LEAVE US ALONE TO GET ON WITH WHAT YOU HAVE CALL US FOR.

Rant Over

Andy

I'm often amazed that many customers keep you chatting so long, that a one hour job runs well into the second hour. It's their money I suppose.

Another thing, why do customers who know well in advance that you will be arriving to do a certain job, in a specific cupboard/area, not clear out the decades'-worth of clutter that lurks within?

Turned up to fit a water softener under a kitchen sink the other day (as pre-arranged with customer). Customer stood there whilst I spent the first 10 mins emptying the double cupboard under the sink of about 500 cleaning products. :evil: My time, YOUR MONEY!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back