Your opinion on the safety and legality of this board please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know someone who recently had an electric shock at work when they used the microwave to the extent it damaged their finger nail and required a hospital visit.
On checking the distributionn board sparks were emitted and it was found to be 'interesting', as in the attached picture.
Idiot questions perhaps but is this legal and what would the HSE make of it?
fuseboard.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are ways to extend a busbar - that's not one of them, it may not be making good contact in the terminals and will be physically stressing the devices. Devices not aligned and busbar not fully inserted. Where's the busbar cover?

Given that BG busbars are not exactly expensive and are readily available, that's a complete bodge. I hope there are prongs from both busbars in the B16 - if not then it's even worse.

That said, can't see anything specific in that picture that would have any bearing on someone getting a shock from a microwave.

The whole lot needs attention, as all of the circuit breakers, switch and RCDs should be in line and level, rather than all over the place also no gland

Can't be certain on the prongs going into the 16amp breaker.
There is NO busbar cover.
This distribution board is serving a multi-level business with many sockets and equipment running off them.
Would this level of bodgery be sufficient to warrant a report to HSE?

Sponsored Links
.... Would this level of bodgery be sufficient to warrant a report to HSE?
I'm not so sure specifically in relation to what's going on within that CU, but i would have thought that "someone getting an electric shock at work" might well be of interest to HSE - and, has been said, nothing we can see in that photo would explain an electric shock, so there may well be some other 'horrors' in the electrical installation.

Kind Regards, John

Would this level of bodgery be sufficient to warrant a report to HSE?

Seen far worse.

There is no legal or illegal with electrics

Why have you taken the cover off, what is your role and when was the last EICR done?

Seen far worse.
Most of us probably have, but that is not a useful indicator of anything.
There is no legal or illegal with electrics
Even if one forgets HSE (which is what we were asked about) there is "legal and illegal" electrical work. Per Part P of the Building Regs, if "Reasonable provision has not been made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury" then the work is 'illegal'.

As I said, regardless of details of the installation, I would imagine (hope) that the HSE would (should) have an interest in a situation in which someone had received an electric shock at work.

Building regs do not apply in a workplace, so part p is irrelevant. The regs which DO apply are EAWR and RIDDOR and an installation where a person receives a shock will be of interest to HSE. There are definitely legal and illegal electrical installations.

As I said, regardless of details of the installation, I would imagine (hope) that the HSE would (should) have an interest in a situation in which someone had received an electric shock at work.

Hum. From a toaster

Really need the op to update us as we are just guessing …..

I know someone who recently had an electric shock at work when they used the microwave to the extent it damaged their finger nail and required a hospital visit.
On checking the distributionn board sparks were emitted and it was found to be 'interesting', as in the attached picture.
Idiot questions perhaps but is this legal and what would the HSE make of it?View attachment 333550
I wonder who installed it, from what I’ve seen most pro electricians don’t use BG brand, it’s a screwfix cheapie.

I think the boards aren’t too bad but the MCBs and RCBos aren’t terribly reliable.

That has to be reportable if it's in a part of the workplace that ordinary employees have access to
Obviously the busbar should have a cover but it was probably tucked away safely inside the CU until someone who shouldn't have interfered with it took the cover off the CU.

If no-one did take the cover of the CU and it was open as the photo, then it is a workplace which deserves to be shut down.

Hi. Good to see you after what feels like quite a while - so, as well as hoping that all is well with you and yours, I'll wish you a Happy New Year!
Building regs do not apply in a workplace, so part p is irrelevant.
Very true. However, as you will have noticed, I was responding to what appeeared to bee a general statement, namely::
There is no legal or illegal with electric

The regs which DO apply are EAWR and RIDDOR and an installation where a person receives a shock will be of interest to HSE.
Quite so - as I've said above, at least twice.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back