Zanussi DE6854 dishwasher won't drain or wash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dishwasher will neither drain out nor start washing.

Every program starts by emptying the water from the machine. If there is water in the sump and I start a program, you can hear the click of a relay behind the top buttons but no motor sounds and the machine doesn't empty. After about a minute the program and drying lights flash. The manual says this indicates a blocked siphon but doesn't say what that is or how to unblock it.

If I bail out the sump and then start a program, it clicks, waits a few seconds, fills up, stops and then, after about a minute, the same lights flash.

If I lay the outlet hose flat across the floor it will drain and any water poured into the machine will pour out of the hose so there doesn't seem to be any blockage.

I've had a quick search of these forums and there's talk of pumps and impellors - what's the likely culprit and how do I find/access/check it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its more than 5 years old get a new one, any repairs will cost money and when they start breaking down their time is up. Having said that it sounds like a problem I had with my dishwasher some years ago the heating element had burnt out and melted one of the water pipes. It had the same symptoms as yours. luckily it was still under its warranty, engineer came out replaced the heating element told us to wait 5 days for electrics inside to dryout, which we did started it up again didn't work water inside by electrics. So back on phone same engineer came found the small pipe had melted and replaced it. Again had to wait 5 days to dry out and it worked, it lasted for another 2 years before giving up the ghost. If you decide to buy new find the modal you want and check out prices on www.pricerunner.co.uk. I did this last year for a fully intergrated dishwasher and saved £120 by buying from Boots instead of our local comet store.

Thanks, but replacing it isn't an option for financial reasons.

If I can repair it myself for a fistful of fivers by replacing a part, great. Otherwise I'll be after a pair of marigolds. Or some paper plates; me and washing up aren't best buddies ;)

If the drying LED + program Led flash then you have a drain issue (very common & often quite easy to fix). Obviously the drain hose is clear, but also check the sink spigot it connects to isn't blocked. After that you need to be looking at the pump. It could be as simple as a piece of glass or similar jamming the impellor. But it could also be defective pump, no voltage to it, or a jammed pressure switch. I would imagine this machine dates from around 2003/2004, and although quite old for a dishwasher they were very well built & often worth repairing there cost warrants it. Please post the PNC number on the door lip as there are 6 - 8 different versions of this model. It should look something like this 911915012/01.

Sponsored Links
also check the sink spigot it connects to isn't blocked.
You see, I didn't think of that :rolleyes: But it's clear.

After that you need to be looking at the pump. It could be as simple as a piece of glass or similar jamming the impellor. But it could also be defective pump, no voltage to it, or a jammed pressure switch.
If it's a faulty pump I guess it's marigold time as they seem to be about £130. How do I get to it to check for debris?

No voltage? I had the door off about 3 weeks ago and disconnected all the wires from the control panel before resoldering a relay to get it heating again so maybe something came a wee bit loose then.

Jammed switches don't sound too pricey either - are they fairly easy to check/fix?

The PNC is 911915012/01.

Thanks for your help.

If you have been tinkering with the pcb then check it again for damage/loose connections.
The wash motor may well be £130 but the drain pump is only £35 http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=50293177007
Your model has a removable baseplate which gives you access to change out most major components. To start with I would remove the door & the plinth under it (you will see the drain pump at the front RH side). Also remove side-panels so you can see what's going on elsewhere. Be sure to empty the water in the sump before laying the DW on its back to prevent water entering the pressure switch!

I finally got a clear day today to take the machine apart (and it was purely coincidence that I'd just run out of washing up liquid ;) ).

I took off the hose section that joins the sump to the drain pump and a hairball and a couple of bits of plastic fell out:

dw-bits.jpg

Are these likely to just be debris that is blocking the pump, or could they be actual bits of pump?

not off the pump but it looks like pieces of the black bitumen sound deadening which encases the tub (nothing to worry about though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back