Zanussi FL881 spins light loads only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Zanussi FL881 washer which spins if it has a very light load only. If it has a normal load, the drum tries to start, but it seems that the load is too much and the drum almost rotates but then gives up. If I take out some of the clothes and put it back on spin with a reduced load, it works. Up until recently it has worked fine.

I have assumed that the belt is worn/stretched and doesn't grip a heavy drum as well as it used to so was about to replace the belt. However other similar topics here advise checking the brushes. How would worn brushes only affect a spin cycle?

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
as you have said change the brushes. They get worn and do not make a good connection.

Thanks breezer. I still don't understand though. Isn't it the same motor that drives every cycle? As it's fine on every other cycle, and it works when I reduce the load, how do the motor brushes affect just a full-load spin?

Sponsored Links
Take the brushes out to check them before buying new ones. You need to do this anyway as Zanussi use more than one make of motor. There may be a more serious motor fault which is sapping its normal power.

Thanks for the answers, I need a bit more help though. The motor looks like it is an AC, not a DC. There's no brushes, all the wires go through one hole in the casing and there's a large fan blade in the motor casing too.

Here's the label details

Sole Made In Italy
Type 20571.227 Cl.F
230-240V AC 50Hz
A W RPM uF VL
3.4 170 2850 16 450
1.6 60 320 16 300

N12403661/1 *1.29.N*

I've searched that lot on the net but can't get any matches.

The machine is fine until it tries to kick off at the spin speed. The motor attempts to drive (I can see it take the strain on the belt and hold it). The machine thinks it is going through the correct cycle (pump, timer running OK). I think I can smell hot electrics at this point so I think the motor has stalled. If I stop the machine, take half the load out and start it up again it spins fine.

I assume then that there is not enough power to drive the drum, therefore either one of the capacitors or a motor winding is not well. Anyone got any ideas where go from here?

if there are no brushes, it sounds like an induction motor, new motor reqd then :cry:

It may be a faulty starter capacitor. This is a cylindrical component bolted to the back of the machine. It will be marked with the capacitance, e.g. 20 microfarad or uF, and the replacement must be the same capacitance. Usually when this fails the motor just hums instead of turning.

Thanks Fido, I'll look for that first. A replacement motor is looking a little pricey.

Just to let you no i have the same problem with my zanussi FL884.If you solve the problem can you let me no.... It will only spin on light loads and i end up taking some washing out for it to spin. If i find out any thing i will let you no...

regards banny

to save time i suggest you do as has been suggested, new motor / capacitor, there is no g'tee origonal poster will reply (nice if he does though) its 5 days since his last post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back