Zanussi fridge-freezer ZF 67/42 FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Freezer is OK. Fridge has stopped cooling, but light comes on inside. I've been told it may be the thermostat. Can I positively diagnose this as the fault? If so, is it easy to replace?

Sponsored Links
if you have one compressor and one thermostat[one cooling circuit]
theres a fair chance your short of coolant and the part of the element that cools the fridge is empty

the way to check is turn the thermostat to off and if the freezer starts to thaw out [ice softens] then your possibly short off gas at a possible cost of around £60 to regas

how old is your machine and is it worth £60 !!!!

if it has been losing gas, I know someone who won't repair domestic fridges, as he says once they have been touched, they will leak worse than before. You can never seal them as well as they were done in the factory.

If you have a multimeter you should be able to test if the thermostat is working.

temporary solution dependant on fridge size freezer blocks or plastic pop bottles in the freezer for 12hrs then put in the fridge whilst the next batch are in the freezer for 12hrs time

just make shure they are fizzy pop bottles as these can freeze solid no probs

this wont keep the temperature as low as 3 more like 10 degrees so use a thermostat for safety

Sponsored Links
Your machine is a frost free model. Cold air is blown from the freezer into the fridge compartment to cool it.
The evaporator in the freezer section is most likely blocked with ice, either from a failed defrost heater or a drain blockage.
Empty the fridge and freezer, defrost for 24 hours with the doors open, when you switch it back on it should work normally again.
If the problem returns quickly then I'd suspect a defrost problem.

Sleepyhead - your suggestion sounds good. We'll eat frozen stuff for the next few days to whittle contents down, and try it! Will report back. Thanks to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back