Zanussi Turbodry 1100 (W1042W) not spinning and not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

The above machine seems to wash OK, but when it comes to spinning it goes through the motions of doing some short spins in either direction to balance the clothes, but for the fast bit it revs up for a few seconds and spins down then off. Very occasionally it works fine. The machine also seems to stop after the spin cycle when I'm pretty positive it used to run into the drying cycle automatically (?)

Tumble drying also leaves the clothes hot and wet - it might be because there's no effective spin cycle, but even if you dry things for a long period of time the results are the same. The drain/drain pump seem to be OK.

My wife thinks that the clothes aren't being rinsed properly too and have powder still in them when removed from the machine because she is getting itchy and blames the clothes.

Having scanned other general posts, I have done the following:

Cleaned out the front panel fluff filter - pretty clean
Checked the drive motor brushes - OK
Looked at the tacho at the end of the main drive motor - all seems to be in place but I've not done any electrical tests

Any 'classic' issues or tips/tricks with this model worth checking next?

From other posts, should I check for a blocked steam condenser and also blocked pipes to the pressure switches? Having taken the top off this model it's not easy to navigate down into the bowels, and unlike my previous machine, the back doesn't come off so any guidance on getting to the relevant parts would be appreciated - to check the motor brushes I placed the machine on its side, resting it on a plastic crate so I could get to the motor from underneath - is that the best way in?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Ok, I have got a bit further - I removed the drain pipes on the bottom of the machine that link to the drain pump and the box surrounding it - the pipes were full of gunk and sludgy washing powder. One pipe leads from the drum (I presume the main drain hose) and the other leads up the back of the machine which I presume is the stream condenser (let me know if I am wrong).

I cleaned out the pipes and that seems to have improved tumble drying - one thing that came out with the gunk was what looks like the top of a flat white curved nylon pastry brush - is this from the pump/box assembly and is it some form of cleaner/agitator?

Anyway, things are improving and the short spin cycle seems better but I am not convinced it reaches top speed. The long spin cycle still goes back and forth a few times but never 'takes off'; there is a hint that spin speed is about to ramp up but then the machine immediately slows down or ends the cycle.

Right - now I've done a naughty thing...I arranged for the machine to do a tumble dry with the door interlock bypassed (yeah, I know, I know) - that was mainly so I could confirm that there was some hot air circulation, which there is. While this was happening I checked the torque on the drum with a set of wet fingers - in one direction there is a lot of torque but in the other, I can stop the drum by hand. When I do this, the motor power is cut for a short while rather than there being any feeling of belt slippage or stalled motor. Is it worth changing the brushes even though they look OK Anything else I can check before I call in the real experts.

Thanks

Well this talking to myself therapy is fun!

I have changed the brushes and now I have plenty of torque in the motor in both directions, but still no effective spin cycles.

Are the most likely candidates the motor tacho and the timing unit?

Is there anyone out there!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back