Zanussi W1242W Not Spinning properly or heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day, my first post on this group I think.

My Zanussi W1242W is not spinning properly, it goes into the distribute clothes cycle and tries to spin (usually), the drum sometimes vibrates quite a lot side to side. I have checked spring suspension and dampers (air) which appear to be OK. I have removed drive belt grabbed the large drum pulley wheel and tried to rock that in various planes and there does not appear to be any excessive movement.

Just noticed that it appears that the water is not heating. I have continuity on the element, 28 Ohms = approx. 2Kw. No volts across contacts during cycle when it should be heating.

I have checked the pressure switch and am getting 3 clicks when I blow in it which according to my meter appears to be opening or closing at least some contacts, whether it is all that it should be or the right ones I do not know.

What else should I be looking at please?

Sponsored Links
Anyone able to offer any suggestions? I don't want to replace machine at present as in the middle of a kitchen refirb.

Could be a few things, but you ought to post the PNC number for best results. How old is your machine & is it a washer/dryer?
To check the bearings correctly remove the belt, open the door & lift the drum to see if there is any up/down slack. Then spin the drum by hand & listen for any grinding/rumbling sounds. If you find either the bearings are history. Other things to check...is it leveled correctly, is it draining properly? are the counterweights slack? is the drive motor loose? have either of the suspension springs eaten part way through the plastic mounts on the tub? are the shock absorbers ok? If you in addition have a no-heat problem (but do have correct element resistance) then this is unlikely to be caused by a mechanical issue unless the wiring has suffered damaged because of excessive movement. If all the above checks out ok then I would suspect a faulty tacho/pcb issue.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the help. Machine 6 years old, as we are doing much work on the kitchen and dining room we have decided to replace which we may well have done anyway in a couple of months. Could just have done without it failing now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back