ZANUSSI WDS1183W WASHER DRYER NOT SPINNING

Bo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here :D .

Hi I've got a 7 year old Zanussi washer/dryer that has stopped spinning. My wife heard a bang come from the machine whilst in a cycle when it stopped.

The machine powers up and will run through the cycles filling and emptying without turning the drum. There is a sound that comes from the machine that sounds like the motors running (haven't had it running with the back off yet)

The drive belt is on and when turned the drum and motor spin freely without any noise or roughness.

There does appear to be a black deposit around the contacts of the heating element, surrounding cables and the adjacent back of the machine, not sure if it is deposit from belt wear or an electrical flash.

Took the element out and checked all wiring and connections which seem ok

Is there anything else that would be an easy check before looking at the motor brushes. I've looked through all the previous questions and not seen anything similar with the associated bang

Breezer looks like the man! Dont't let me down lol

Cheers and great forum

Bo

Sponsored Links
So many variants on the zanussi.
Some have a pcb on the bottom which controls the motor, some don't and the motor is controlled by the timer.
The black deposits are more than likely carbon dust from the motor carbons.
Check the carbon brushes in the motor, best place to start.

Sleepyhead said:
So many variants on the zanussi.
Some have a pcb on the bottom which controls the motor, some don't and the motor is controlled by the timer.
The black deposits are more than likely carbon dust from the motor carbons.
Check the carbon brushes in the motor, best place to start.

Thanks for the reply
This one does have the PCB in the bottom, still wondering what the bang was. do the capitors go bang if they blow?

Sponsored Links
Turns out one of the brushes was significantly more worn, which looks like it blew the motor control unit, which is what the bang was.

£100 for parts :eek: so unless I can find some cheaper parts then its going to the white goods in the sky place

Cheers for the help

Bo said:
Turns out one of the brushes was significantly more worn, which looks like it blew the motor control unit, which is what the bang was.

£100 for parts :eek: so unless I can find some cheaper parts then its going to the white goods in the sky place

Cheers for the help

Put in new module and brushes but motor still not working any ideas what I could check next. everything else seems to be working fine.....help

sounds to me like ya motor as blown and it could have taken out the timer when you heard the bang , the black deposits is usually off the belt not the carbons

looks like it would be better to scrap it and put ya money towards a new one , be carefull what you buy tho there is some rubbish out there now
i am going to machines and scrapping them just out of there 12 months guarantee because the pcb is so expencive usually indesits and servis
if ya want one to last you , you are prob best off taking out the extended warranty and be carefull with that as well ask questions 1st
some extended warrantys are for parts only this means you have to pay there call out charge usually 100 pounds ( rip off ) make sure everything is covered and get it in writing

its prob a bit late telling you all this , but could help others infact you are prob ready for getting a new machine again by now :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back