Zanussi wjd1257 dryer timer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The washing side of things seems fine, but the dryer seems to get about 20min into a cycle and then jumps to the end. ie setting timer for 50 min seems to go ok till about 30min remaining, then suddenly is on last minute and finishes. Same applies at 1:50 suddenly jumps from about 1:30 to being finished. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
There are 6 - 7 different versions of that model number. Can you post the PNC number on the door sticker & a photo of the control panel? The PNC number should look something like this: 914601415/00

PNC is 914601406/00.
There is also a Type No which is: P6347670 - don't know if that helps too?
I've managed to add a photo of the control panel to an album, and have tried to include here, but am not sure how or even if it's possible. If the image doesn't show here, I've only uploaded 1 photo in 1 album, so it should be easy to find.

Thanks.

Only 4 alarms are shown to the end user on this model & none of them would cause the problem you have. You need to dig out the last recorded alarm in the Eeprom. Do this:
Reset the machine by pressing the skip/reset button until it zeros. Turn it off by the power button. Press and hold down the skip/reset & start button. Turn on the power button while still holding in skip/reset & start. Hold in until the buzzer sounds & LED’s begin to flash (takes about 5 seconds). Release the buttons when this happens. Press the “fabrics” button once (at a time) until the light in the upper LED (in the first row of LED’s to the left) moves to position 9 (4th from the top in the second row of LED’s above the temp button). Stop when you get to the 9th LED. The last recorded error should then be displayed. Note what it is & post it here. If you happen to go past position 9 just keep slowly pressing the fabrics button until you get back to it. To exit diagnostics turn the machine off – on – then off again.

Sponsored Links
Is the door locking when you try to run a program? E41 is primarily a door interlock problem (but it can also be caused by wiring or pcb issues) so it may well be a red herring...or the door wasn't closed last time you tried to run a program (only the last error alarm is stored in the Eeprom). I would be more inclined to believe this problem boils down to a dryer sensor issue.

I agree that the door open issue is likely to be a red herring. I get an error to do with the door being open pretty often - think the switch is likely on it's way out or needs cleaning. Opening and closing always sorts it, though obviously I need to have propper look to head of it packing up altogether.

How do I check the dryer sensor? I've seen a post on another forum that suggested possibly wiring at the condensor, or a loose sensor attached to some kind of hose from the condensor (is this the dryer sensor you mention?). There was also a mention of a filter on the condensor (is this seperate to the filter I normally clean?) - could that maybe be the issue?

In case it helps, since initial post, I noticed on a longer time (i.e. 1:50 min) that the timer counted down from 1:50 to 1:20 (possibly a little quickly) then jumped from 1:20 to 1min remaining (don't know where the other 1:19 went?!)

A "door open" error (E40 to the end user) is one of the 4 alarms that I mentioned earlier. Its a bit like playing Russian roulette not to heed a recurring E40 alarm. Faulty door interlocks often cause premature pcb failure.

Check the NTC which controls the automatic drying cycle. It is fitted in the large black condenser hose at the lower right hand side. It should measure around 6k ohms cold. When warmed to 80C it should drop to around 650 ohms. The lid & rear half of the casing have to be removed to get to it.

Thanks Zipper. Looks like you might be bang on there. Unless I'm not using my meter properly (possible but unlikely) I'm seeing 0 ohms whether hot or cold. Just verifying part numbers with Zanussi then I can get one ordered. Part Number I'm finding is 3792171021 - don't know if that's correct yet, but looks like it's going to cost me all of £8 to replace:) If this solves my problem, I owe you a pint next time I get as far North as you:)

Cheers for that. I was looking at the same part on the same site, but not having ordered spares for these things before, I was just trying to verify with Zanussi to be sure (can't find it on Zanussi's site).

As a side note, have you seen the prices on the Zanussi site? They want £13 for a fill hose?!

2 pints is fine btw, though it's likely to be a while before I get as far North as you to be able to buy:)

Hey Zipper,

One (hopefully) last question. The NTC has a plastic bit on the end for the contacts that has a lip, and a sort of metal tube with a lip. Between the lips is a gap of about 3 mm. Should the metal lip be inside the hose (i.e. should the hose wall should fit snugly between the 2 lips?)

Cheers again.

The steel lip should fit in a groove in the rubber (a grommet type fitting). Since there is no compression locking (as on a washer element) the groove keeps it from popping out out again. You'll soon find a leak if it isn't fitted properly. Didn't you notice when you took the old one out?

Thanks Zipper. I was pretty sure that was the case. Light's a bit naff and there's not a lot if room to work in, so I couldn't be absolutely certain and didn't want to risk splitting the hose trying to then find out I'd got it wrong. The NTC is definitely where the problem was though:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back