zanussi zwf16070wi motor fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all first posting so please forgive any mistakes or missed information
i have got a zannusi machine i want to no other peoples opinions on a particular problem .the machine is 23 months old ,and the brushes are ok the motor has what i think is a manufacturing fault, the actuall winding of the motor has moved on the main spinde ,the brushes no longer line up with the armature on the motor ,so now it will not work,would there be any point in me going back to the supplier or is the machine to old .any opinions welcome thanks in advance
martin

Sponsored Links
Interesting... When you say the "winding" has moved do you mean the commutator doesn't line up with the brushes? Can you post a photo? If the armature has axial movement I would suspect a bearing/shaft issue or damaged bearing housing(s). If there is excessive up/down slack it is likely due to a complete bearing failure. You could contact the supplier & try to claim a new motor, whether you get one or not is another matter. Failing that you'll have to dismantle the motor & find what is causing the problem or simply buy a new one. The motor doesn't have many functional parts...a stator, an armature, 2 bearings, 2 endshields, 4 bolts, tacho, & a pair of brushes. Hardly rocket science.

hi zipper the only way i can explain is,i have taken the motor apart ,i now have the main outer body with a coil inside ,then you have the central part of the motor winding on a spindle with the the armature the brushes should run against ,both bearings are fine .what seems to of happened is ,the whole winding and the armature the bushes run agaist, has moved on the spindle ,when i removed the bushes they have a step in them because only half the brush surface was running on the armature ,
the spindle can not move back/forward as it is held in place by the bearings it is the internal paart which is moving up and down the spindle

I have never seen that problem on a motor with a wound armature :eek: I have seen the odd squirrel cage motor where the core has moved on the rotor shaft. On large motors that would usually mean pressing out the worn shaft & manufacturing a new one, smaller motors would just be scrapped (which is what will happen to yours). An armature has 4 main parts. A shaft, a laminated core package which sits on it, a moulded commutator pressed on the end, & a set of coils connected to the commutator. If the core or commutator has moved the motor is scrap, new armatures can't be purchased, you have to buy the whole motor. Call the supplier or Electrolux (who own the Zanussi brand) & explain what has happened, you never know your luck. However I think you'll probably end up having to bear the cost of a new motor yourself.

Sponsored Links
it seems like you now you stuff regarding washing machines , as a new motor is £160 mark i will be replacing the washer do you know anything about I.S.E machines are they as long lasting as they make out
thanks in advance

ISE are in essence re-badged Asko machines (Swedish). Very reliable, extremely robust & one of my absolute favorites. Recently Asko was bought out by Gorenje (Slovakia). How well that works out only time will tell. You never know...you may be able to pick up a cheap second-hand motor on ebay :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back