Zinc flat roof on new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently getting some quotes together for an extension we're going to have built a bit later this year. I had noticed on all the quotes that builders were planning on doing a felt roof, unsurprising as this keeps costs down, but not the nicest material for a flat roof if you ask me.

I'm quite keen on a zinc roof with stand up seams (I'm a slave to fashion) as there will be four windows eventually looking out onto it. however, I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of the cost premium of having a zinc roof over a felt one. The extension is rectangular and 4 x 6.25 metres.

Cruising these boards, I've seen a couple of people offering to do a quote and I am happy to provide architects' drawings if these help. I'm in SW London. Just PM me.

Sponsored Links
Ahh okay, I didn't realise there was such a wide choice. TBH I don't really know at this stage, something that looks good from the first floor windows but that wont break the bank I suppose. Perhaps you are able to make a suggestion?

I forgot to mention in my original post that the roof has a 1.8m x 1.8m roof lantern. Would you need to see the drawings?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's just the sort of look that I'm after. So what's the cost difference between something like this and a normal felt roof?

As a rough guess I'd say about £2500 for the zinc work, not sure what it would cost in felt but you'd be lucky to get 15 year guarantee for the felt but you'd get a lifetime guarantee with the zinc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back