Zone Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate a little interpretation of the regulations, regarding BS761 and Section 701
This relates to a Hot Tub install.
Hot Tub on hard wired 32A RCD protected TT circuit.

The hot tub is on a deck with pitched tiled roof.
Adding an IP65 enclosure (with mcb) to feed a SMART socket for some lighting, (discussed in seperate thread)
No switches to be accessible to HotTub users.
I intend to site the enclosure in the open pitched roof space.

I had been intending to install 2m above any point above Hot Tub … so at apex of pitched rafters.

My question arises looking at this explanation of Section 701, the article shows on page 2 that the extent of zone is only to 2.25m from the floor, whereas I had understood it was 2m from top edge of Hot Tub.

If the diagram is right, then I can lower enclosure position to a position >2.25m. Making install physically easier.

Welcome advice on this.

Attachments

• 8A6C7F64-396A-4F1F-ABCD-70CC101239BA.jpeg
    8A6C7F64-396A-4F1F-ABCD-70CC101239BA.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Who is likely to complain? Not being silly asking this, but when I and I also live in Wales, tried to install a wet room, I had problems with the LABC inspector asking for things not listed in BS7671 or the parts of the building regulations.

If the LABC is involved direct, ask or tell them what you are doing, so they have a chance to object before you do the work. If you are a scheme member ask them, that's what you pay them for.

It is notifiable work, so some one can pick you up if not done correct, and I would not want to be debating the point with LABC inspector, as they are likely to take the do it again and do it properly attitude. Even if it does comply to the letter of regulations.

The whole lot is going through part P certification… trying to get requirements correct in my head before getting Work underway.
When I recently asked them an advice Q, the answer was to get my installation design electrician to specify. (seemed a standard response)

Last edited:
701 applies to bathrooms. A hot tub is not a bath and the presence of a hot tub doesn't make the space into a bathroom.
A hot tub isn't a swimming pool either.

There are elements of both bathrooms and swimming pools in hot tub installations and some of the requirements for bathrooms and swimming pools could be used, but there is no section that specifically covers hot tub installations.

Sponsored Links
701 applies to bathrooms. A hot tub is not a bath and the presence of a hot tub doesn't make the space into a bathroom. ... A hot tub isn't a swimming pool either.
Interesting view (as a generalisation).

BS7671 does not appear to define either "bath" or "shower" (or "swimming pool"), about the nearest being that the initial sentence of Chapter 701 refers to "...
locations containing a fixed bath (bath tub, birthing pool)....".

I have a room in my house which contains something which was described when installed (30+ years ago) as a "jaccuzi" (and no shower) and it has never occurred to me that this might not render the room a 'location' to which 701 applies, since the item in question is one which (like bath tubs and birthing pools) is filled with water which people submerge their naked or semi-naked bodies in.

More to the point, I could theoretically remove my jaccuzi and replace it with something sold today as a "hot tub" whilst retaining much of the functionality and characteristics (particularly as regards submersion of naked/semi-naked bodies) of the present item - so, again, it would not have occurred to me that such a change would take the room out of the scope of 701 - are you really suggesting that would be the case?

I'm not saying that 701 applies to the OP's ('outdoor') situation, but that does not alter what I am saying/asking above in terms of the general situation.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back