Zoned Heating Combi Selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a long time lurker first time poster so please go easy on me...

I'm in the middle of a first floor flat complete gut and re-fit bathroom project and it involves replacing old boiler with new WB Greenstar Junior 28i combi (to be located in new utility cupboard not in the bathroom)

I would like to set this up as a 4 zone systems with individual room stats for the four zones. I've been looking at the heatmiser system. Although they look nice and slim, they don't seem to be as well established as say seimens etc...

My questions are:

1) Is the Greenstar Junior 28i suitable for a zoned system?
2) Do I still need a 'sink' rad (prob in bathroom or downstairs hall)?
3) Do I need 2 port or 3 port valves?
4) Are valves best close to rad, close to stat or close to boiler?
5) Do I need a bypass loop (boiler has auto bypass and is fully modulating
6) Are wax valves okay or am I better sticking with motorised?
7) Did you all have a happy christmas and new year? ;)

Many thanks in advance

MikeyG

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you be better off with something like this if its just flat?

http://www.uk-plumbing.com/honeywell-yz667a1060-cm-zone-pack-p-1491.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rob, but (other half) doesn't want to see the rad attachment, and it doesn't seem much cheaper than the heatmiser solution with neat individually programmable room stats and concealed valves.

We also intend to extend to loft with another two/three zones. It's a flat yes, but we will eventually have around 170sqm of accommodation over three floors+half cellar for storage. So the system will need to be able to expand. The honeywell (i think) needs a control point for each two zones, although I'm sure they'll do a more fancy (expensive) one

also, if you have a fully zoned system do you need a sink radiator without a trv or programmable stat control?

Thanks for the quick reply btw :cool:

I should also say it's a victorian house converted into two flats...so rf systems might not be that great. We have had problems with positioning of wifi box for interweb and signals not going through walls.

Also, we're gutting all rooms and lifting boards, so the routing cable isn't an issue.

the honeywell system does look clever though, one to think about for future projects. :idea:

ta again

Sponsored Links
Why on earth would you zone a flat into 4 zones? 4 zones is for something like a 15 bedroomed house. What is your designer planning to do?

I think the idea is to have independant control over each room and therefore optimise the boiler firing.

With only one stat (say in hall) set low so that boiler isn't always firing and trv's there is still a lot of fiddling to get the setup right.

With something like the individual programmable stats you can set the target temp for each room, just like the honeywell system, but with the zone controller in the floor and the lcd display (almost) flush mounted in the wall. It is partial gimmicy, but I think it looks pretty neat and long term plan is stay and convert back to large house if/when downstairs goes on market and we can squeeze the funds... :oops:

Anyway if the boards are up, apart from the extra cost why not zone?

I know it's not the most profittable thing to do...but hey we're not all in it to make a fast buck and we really like the place we're at.

So that's why all the questions...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back