Desperate.... Accenta/Optima alarm....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently moved into a new house with a Honeywell Accenta/Optima alarm. The previous owners didn't use the alarm, so didn't know the code. At some point, I was going to get round to resetting... Today, I decided to turn off the annoying chime that goes on entry.... as this doesn't need the code...

However, a few seconds later the interior alarms starting wailing... and then a little later, the external. After much panic, I had disconnected the panel on the wall (I think this is called the Accenta LCD Keypad) and powered off the electricity to the house. Of course, it kept going.. and stopped after 15 mins.

I reluctantly turned back on the power to the house and fortunately, the alarm did not reset. The blue strobe on the bell box is flashing away however, (this doesn't upset the neighbours quite so much though!)

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to have just the LCD panel and nothing else? I searched on how to reset the alarm to factory settings and this implies that connections on a larger panel needs to be shorted.. I don't seem to have anything but the LCD keypad. Is this possible? I have searched high and low and can not find a larger panel anywhere. I've looked in every cupboard, room, loft etc... and it's not to be found!

2) Is there a risk that the alarm will go off again? 3pm on a Sunday is bad enough... 3am might not endear me to my new neighbours too much...

Any help really appreciated.

cheers,
Simon

Sponsored Links
Draw an imaginary straight line from the keypad to the ceiling, and pull the carpet back in the bedroom above, I have known installers to put control panels under the floorboards.

Further to the above. If and when you eventually find the panel, the standby battery inside needs replacing. Worth checking the loft also, if no one has suggested it so far.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Sparkymarka, my mistake, you've already suggested the loft.

Just a thought - Have you been looking for a box with a keypad on it? The main unit may be just a plain box, with a power indicator.

You appear to have tripped the alarm and it is now waiting to be given the user code and reset. It should stay in that condition, with the strobe activated.

There should be a backup battery in the main panel case and another one in the bellbox. Normal dependable life of the main panel box is four or five years, the bellbox one is significantly longer.

The bad news is that you are indicating to the bad lads that the alarm will not make a noise, if they fancy coming in, so this needs to be fixed asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back