Moving router away from master socket - best solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Is there a best option for this particular set-up?

Router currently adj. to master socket.
PC on other side of dining room wirelessly connected to router. 5m from router.
TV (to which I currently run homeplugs) in lounge. 15m from router, 10 from PC.

I want to stream from PC to TV. I have loose-lain cat5 from PC to router, and router to TV, and it all works. But that's a lot of cabling tucked up in the corner, which looks unsightly.

I will be burying cat5 to the TV somewhere, and I reckon moving the router to behind the PC would be neatest. But how?

The only thing I can think of is new telephone extension point run from master to behind PC, with 2 pair telephone cable between the two. Then buried cat5 to TV from newly-positioned router.

Is there any reason NOT to do this? Is there a blindingly-obvious other / better way to achieve what I want / need?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
There is no problem in using an extension socket from the phone line for your router. Mine is the other side of the house (including going via 2 slave sockets before the slave it is plugged into) and I get 12Mbts broadband!!

Don't forget you will need another filter for the extension, but that aside should work fine.

There is no problem in using an extension socket from the phone line for your router.
Not if the ADSL signal arriving at the master socket is a strong one. If you are at the end of a long cable route from the telephone exchange and the ADSL signal is not a strong one then it is necessary to take care over the internal wiring.

I always advise separating phone and ADSL at the master socket using a filtered face plate. Then no matter how many sockets and spurs are used for telephones the phone wiring cannot have any significant affect on the broadband signal and speeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back