Optima XM alarm system - all wires cut - reconnecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to repair this system. It consists of one PIR sensor which has the wires labelled on the inside of the unit so this was easy to reconnect on the control panel, and the same for the door and window contacts.

I've also connected the internal speaker.

Problem is I'm not sure how to wire up the Bell Box. I can get the strobe flashing but not too sure on how to connect the wires. It has 3 pairs of wires, blue, green and orange. I'm sure orange is the trigger as it is with the PIR sensor but not sure.

Any help much appreciated. I can upload a photo if this helps.

Sponsored Links
sounds like its wired in bt cable it going to be trial and error unless you have some ladders...

Thought as much... not got any ladders handy so it will have to be trial and error.
problem is i'm not sure how these things are usually wired up. Will they simply be connected as pairs,
i.e. 2 to the strobe, 2 to bell and 2 to power or are they likely to cross over ?

photo:
alarm.jpg

do you have a multi meter ? does the bell box have any leds on it ? looks like its not got a tamper on it as its linked out, put a picture of the bellbox on.

Sponsored Links
if i was to guess put the green solid wire in the bell + connection then touch the white with green wire to aux - ( its got the same colour wire in allready) and listen for outside sounder. if it sounds put it in the bell -

Thank you, I will have another look at it this weekend.

Another thing, it looks like the ribbon cable connecting the keypad to the motherboard isn't long enough so I might have to reconnect this manually using tape and small spade connectors.

Another thing, it looks like the ribbon cable connecting the keypad to the motherboard isn't long enough so I might have to reconnect this manually using tape and small spade connectors.

IMHO, that's just asking for trouble, especially for something as important as the keypad!!!. Why not just buy a new panel, for example, a texecom veritas.

http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/texecom-veritas-8-cfa-0001-intruder-alarm-control-panel/p45

Or if you really must, i found this... Just change the PCB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMA-XM...rglar_Alarms&hash=item1e6ef71370#ht_500wt_949

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
good thinking. Nice one.

I think all I need to do is check that the bell works and then I'll think about getting another PCB or panel and replace the whole thing. I get no feedback from the keypad at the moment so I have nothing to lose with having a quick play with it but the main thing is getting the bell working (I can get the strobe flashing).

If that works then yes a new panel is the way forward.

Thanks again. Your advice is valuable and most appreciated.

good thinking. Nice one.

I think all I need to do is check that the bell works and then I'll think about getting another PCB or panel and replace the whole thing. I get no feedback from the keypad at the moment so I have nothing to lose with having a quick play with it but the main thing is getting the bell working (I can get the strobe flashing).

If that works then yes a new panel is the way forward.

Thanks again. Your advice is valuable and most appreciated.

Can you not just get up a ladder and see what goes where? You'll probably need a new bell box as the battery in it is probably kaput!

Doesn't really help that it has been wired with phone cable. Would make me question the rest of the installation :confused:

keypad will seem dead until front cover is on panel and reset is pressed on an optima.[/u]

ok thanks. That is useful to know.

I've done the reset procedure and with cover back on all seems to work except for keypad. It looks like the ribbon is too short as it only just clamps in to the connector so I doubt it will be making a connection.

I'll get the multimeter on it tonight to confirm.

prbaxter

You're not in or around Hull by chance? My sister had an alarm wired in telephone cable but I cannot remember the company name.

As sparkymark a said, there is no tamper on your system and it also looks like there is no SAB module in the bellbox. Have you linked out the tamper and SCB connections?

IF it is the same company there will be something like a TK1010 siren and strobe in the bellbox and that will be it. I would suggest that the wiring is removed and replaced with the appropriate alarm cable, get a new sounder and panel as josh451 suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back