Replacement alarm required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come across this forum so thought i'd ask a question.

Several years ago I fitted a Wickes wired alarm. Two PIRs and door contacts front and back.
As the kids got older and started coming in and out at all hours we stopped using the alarm.
I am at present building a new porch on the front of the house and have decided to renew the alarm system.
I plan to use the existing wiring and hopefully the PIRs as well?

I have been looking at the Honeywell Gen4 Accenta with remote LCD keypad. But I also like the idea of having a system that you can set\unset with a key fob. Would it be overkill to have the keypad and a Simple Set readers side by side at the front door.

I welcome any advice on wether this is a good idea or not and perhaps views on different systems.

Sponsored Links
Well for a start that panel does not have "fob/prox" setting.

Something more like what you require would be the Cooper/Scantronic 9651-en panel.
Still 8 fully programable zones.
1 Full set and 3 parts.
Up to 4 keypads.
Each keypad can have a "Prox" reader inbuilt.

not quite right are you "alarm" simple set reader is available fot the gen4 control panel

Well were is the link for it then?

Dont worry, I see that have upgraded the panel.

OP yes thats fine, would work for you.

Sparky, rather than a how high can I **** attitude, just post a link to assist.
Your post was worthless.
What was the point, you could have helped the OP and enlightened myself.

Sponsored Links
Well were is the link for it then?

Dont worry, I see that have upgraded the panel.

OP yes thats fine, would work for you.

Sparky, rather than a how high can I p**s attitude, just post a link to assist.
Your post was worthless.
What was the point, you could have helped the OP and enlightened myself.

Thanks Alarm for the reply.

Have PIRs changed much in the last 15-20 years? Are the Wickes ones likely to work with a new panel?

Have to say I have been browsing this forum this morning and there does seem to be a strange attitude on here sometimes. I thought forums were about helping people. If I want to bicker with someone I'll talk to the misses. ;)

to be honest,
if we were changing the panel after 15 + years we would automatically change the PIRs.

they are not expensive and you would end up with a completely new system

also, change the external siren unit as well

Oasis

to be honest,
if we were changing the panel after 15 + years we would automatically change the PIRs.

they are not expensive and you would end up with a completely new system

also, change the external siren unit as well

Oasis

Thanks for that Oasistechnical. It would certainly be more economical to buy a complete kit. I was always going to change the external siren anyway as I'm pretty sure its had it.

well after 15+ years its done well!!
also you can now add a few more detectors as well,
and maybe new door contacts!

also fit an internal speaker / sounder, because it think, not to sure, that the panel you are going to use might not have one built in.

if it has you wont need one, but if it has not, get yourself one.

and use the biggest battery possible in the panel, don't use little one because of cost,

Oasis
hope this helps

mmmmm can dish it but dont like it back.......

Ehh, another totally pointless post.
Are you bored or something?

Still no link, pointless.

OP, oasis is correct. Get the kit.
More than worth the money, about time the old stuff was upgraded now anyway. There is no speaker in the panel and the keypad is not too loud so add a speaker to the list. Wont be much.

Thanks guys much appreciated.

The panel I have been looking at was really based on reviews I have seen. I'm always open to suggestions if there is something that would suit me better.

ie a system that has build in fob setting and internal speaker?

Most now have a separate internal speaker. No real hardship.
You can power a speaker from some keypads, Menvier M series for instance.
But if the panel is concealed then mounting a speaker outside a cupboard ECT isn't the end of the world.

Fob setting was really for signalling systems but can be used without for convieneience, use it a lot for older clients.

Like I said your choice is okay the cooper/Scantronic 9651 is a bit more versatile. What you have to decide is what do you want the system to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back