Sold Alarm Cable instead of phone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently trying to sort out my phone extension and I've just bought some 3 pair cable, or so I thouwght. It looks like alarm cable, there is no color paring with bands. All the wires are solid colours. Can I use it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It'll be unbalanced. Proper stuff is in pairs to minimise intererence - kit at both ends ought to be balance, effectively kills off common mode problems.

How much that matters to you now, no one can tell but if in the future you want to pass higher speeds over it you could be shooting yourself in both feet.

For me, I wouldn't fit it (for telephones/bband use).

- but then my house has the famous 'builders' telephone extension the cause of 95% of my telephone woes.

PS you might also find it isn't a good grip on the IDC sockets.

that what we thought as well. By the time we realised what they had done they had shut for the weekend. Thats on top of trying to sell it to me for 83p a metre.

I know copper has gone up but ROFLMAO and you paid that?

100mts is about £13 !

Sponsored Links
I know copper has gone up but ROFLMAO and you paid that?

100mts is about £13 !

Sorry to hijack - just FYI - I saw 6core alarm cable on sale in Maplin here in Galway , Ireland for €1.15 a metre! ( about £1!)

I used to use Maplin quite regularly 30 years ago when it was just the mail-order supplier in Rayleigh. Ever since the company started going more for ready made "consumer electronics" gear and opening stores all over the place, the selection of components gradually went down and the prices started going up. The mail-order service also seemed to go downhill in terms of reliability when it moved to Barnsley (more missing items, incorrect parts sent, etc.).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back