Yale Alarm Premium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

New to the forum so hope I am in the right place. I have fitted a premium Yale wireless alarm and all works fine, the only concern is when I away arm the system and a door is wide open it still lets me arm and leave the house with the door wide open but the alarm doesn't go off. My understanding from the manual was that the system wouldn't let you set if this was the case.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
is it the final exit/entry door that you are leaving open?

if so, thats ok (as long as it sets correctley)

but there are a few on here that fit Yale as a matter of fact, so i think someone else will also post here to help you.

Oasis

Thanks for your prompt response. No, the entry/exit door is fine but if I leave the back door or a window open that is set to "burglar" then it still allows me to fully set without a warning.

To conserve battery power and to comply with the conditions imposed on licence exempt wireless transmitters the sensors do not send real time ( continuous ) information to the panel as to whether the door is open or closed. Many only send a message when the state changes from closed to open, some will also report when it closes. A few will also send a report from time to time as to whether the door is open or closed. The more frequently this happen the shorter the battery life.

So when you set the alarm the panel of a licence exempt wireless system has no way of knowing the state of the doors being "monitored" at that moment in time.

In a better wireless system where the sensors have two way communication with the panel the panel would send a request to the sensors to report the state of the doors when you tried to set the alarm. Because sensors with two way communication have to have a receiver as well as a transmitter they are more expensive and because the receiver takes power the battery life is much shorter.

Sponsored Links
Superb, thanks for that. could you now explain that to my wife who thinks I knew what I was talking about when I bought it. :cry:

Thanks very much for the detailed response.

Think of it like "remembering to lock the back door before you go out"

I have a more expensive wired alarm that reports if a door is open, but it still wouldn't tell me if everything was locked. On one occasion a door blew open during the night as it was sticky and had not been shut properly.

The alarm you have bought is fine as an easy-to-install DIY system at reasonable cost. I put one into my old mum's house and we are very pleased with it, especially the "dial out on alarm" feature and the "home" setting.

Thanks JohnD, you are right it is something, touch wood, i am reasonably careful with but it was a useful test with two kids under 11 in the house. Memories like goldfish and all that. Finance dictated the standard of alarm purchased but pleased with it nonetheless.

Thanks again

The system does have some failsafe reminders.

If for example a sensor has a tamper problem or it's batteries are so low it has dropped out of the system then you cannot immediately arm the system instead it displays the fault that prevents the system arming or would potentially be a security risk. In these cases you have to confirm a 'force arm' of the system.

Why would it be possible to force arm and ignore a missing detector? A major security risk I would have thought. Does the system not warn of the batteries becoming drained?

perhaps it's so that you can arm the rest of the alarm system, while you go to the alarm shop to buy a replacement for the defective part.

The system does have some failsafe reminders.

If for example a sensor has a tamper problem or it's batteries are so low it has dropped out of the system then you cannot immediately arm the system instead it displays the fault that prevents the system arming or would potentially be a security risk. In these cases you have to confirm a 'force arm' of the system.
You can't Force Arm with a Tamper Fault, got to fix/get it fixed first.

Why would it be possible to force arm and ignore a missing detector? A major security risk I would have thought. Does the system not warn of the batteries becoming drained?

It does! Who said it didn't?

The point is it lets you know which device isn't working giving you the option of fixing it or in the absence of an immediate replacement arming the rest of the system.

What would you suggest , not being able to arm the system at all even the working parts aren't immediately available. I think the way it works is sensible.

If you have done a proper risk assesment you wont just have a system with two pir sensors you should have one in every room that can be accessed without already triggering an existing sensor.

From the wording you gave, it gives a very short time indication. So it looked like you said that is why you can force the thing. Mine tells me at least a month in advance. I have detectors in every room.

that's great to know, Workers, but is it relevant to the topic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back