Loft aerial to tv - connections query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

As a first-time buyer, this promises to be the first post of many on here.
First problem will seem minor (but my partner assures me its anything but). The sellers left a load of leads in the lounge. There’s one long lead seemingly running down from the loft with what I believe to be a male F connector (thin copper strand in the middle sticking out), and a dual cable (two cables joined together) both with the same F connections. I’m focusing my attention on the single cable, hoping it’s the lead running from the tv roof aerial.

My television aerial input – and this is where my ignorance will really shine through – allows insertion of a rounded silver element, much thicker than the copper wire. I’m sure it’s a standard input. I’m guessing it’s a female coaxial input, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I popped into Halfords and they gave me TV/FM Allot Plugs. Even allowing for my standards of stupidity I struggle to see how these fit to anything, in any way.

So I know believe I need a female F connector to male coax. Does this sound right?

To summarise, the male f connector looks like this: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=f+...bnw=193&start=47&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:47

And the aerial input looks like this:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=fe...0&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Before I go and buy any more bits and bobs, can anyone reassure me I’m on the right track? Am I even looking at the right cable?

Many thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Tom, welcome to the forum. .:cool:

The simplest answer is to remove the F plug and fit a standard male aerial plug instead. There are loads of "how to" web pages with good pictures and easy to follow instructions. Theres an aerial retailer called Satcure who have comprehensive guides to this kind of stuff. Google is your friend.

I’m focusing my attention on the single cable, hoping it’s the lead running from the tv roof aerial.

With an 'F' plug, it's certainly not intended to be plugged into a TV set. So I can think of two possibilities:

1. It's not connected to an aerial but to something else.

2. It's connected to an aerial amplifier so it needs to be connected to the power supply that feeds that amplifier. (It's not unusual for sellers to steal the PSU, wrongly thinking that it's an amplifier.)

I recommend that you trace the wiring to determine where it goes. Alternatively, get your conveyancing solicitor to contact the seller and request the information on the grounds of safety. The cables could be live. (Some people are idiots.)

It amazes me that you can pay £100 for a used car and get an instruction booklet but pay £200,000+ for a house and get nothing!

Tom, welcome to the forum. .:cool:

The simplest answer is to remove the F plug and fit a standard male aerial plug instead. There are loads of "how to" web pages with good pictures and easy to follow instructions. Theres an aerial retailer called Satcure who have comprehensive guides to this kind of stuff. Google is your friend.

Thanks Chris, I'm on the case with Google. Almost too much information out there for a novice like me with a very niche stupidity.

Also, can I just check that the tv aerial I described - I think, femal coaxial, is...normal/regular?

Sponsored Links
I’m focusing my attention on the single cable, hoping it’s the lead running from the tv roof aerial.

It amazes me that you can pay £100 for a used car and get an instruction booklet but pay £200,000+ for a house and get nothing!

I know. It beggars belief. And just getting an electrician to take a look would cost a fortune. Thanks for your tips. I'll figure it out eventually (I hope).

Also, can I just check that the tv aerial I described - I think, femal coaxial, is...normal/regular?
Sam Gangee's call on it being a connection for a power supply is a very astute observation. It could be the remote power supply for an aerial amplifier fixed to the aerial mast, or one in the loft, or even a multi-way aerial distribution box in the loft or some other less accessible place. A bit of detective work on your part might help determine what you have.

Female aerial connections aren't normally used for the connetion to a TV tuner. That's usually done with a male plug instead.

There are some other possibilities too. A female coax plug could be the lead going out of a Sky box RF output or Freeview recorder to another TV or to an aerial distribution box. A single lead with an F connector could be the same connevtion but via a remote power supply. Or this could simply be an extra satellite feed to a TV with a Freesat tuner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back