philips 42" tv volume problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
we have an ambilight 42" philips tv and the volume now decides to turn up to its loudest when it wants or turns down to nothing and stays like that for quite a while..
anyone else had this issue with this particular tv and if so how was it resolved?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Report back exactly what you observe after you've made the volume bar visible, when the fault occurs.

Report back exactly what you observe after you've made the volume bar visible, when the fault occurs.

the volume bar appears on screen as if someone is turning the volume up or down by way of using the remote, but no one is..

So, just to confirm: you can actually see the problem happening in the form of the volume bar moving according as the volume that you hear?

If that's the case, locate the infra-red sensor window in the TV panel and cover it with tape so the TV no longer responds to the remote. See if that cures the problem. If it does then my guess is that the TV is responding to infra-red interference from somewhere. It might be an energy-saver light bulb or something I can't even guess about.

If the tape doesn't cure it, then the fault may be caused by electrical interference radiating from something. (I have had a report that this happened with a laptop when the battery connections were bad!) But it could be absolutely anything electrical so unplug and switch off every piece of equipment until you locate the cause. It might even be from next door.

If none of this helps, then it must be an internal fault in the TV set. It could be a loose connection (ribbon connector), bad solder joint or a failing power supply. Try stamping on the floor near the TV. Vibration will often show up a bad connection. (Don't try this if you live in an upstairs apartment!)

It's impossible to guess accurately what might be the cause so carry out as many tests as possible to narrow down the possibilities.

Please report back your results because it could help others with a similar problem.

Quick note, dont use black tape. It will still react.
Use a bit of card and then tape that over the receiver.

Correct. Most black plastic allows I/R to pass through. Aluminium foil is most effective at blocking it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back