TV distribution about the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the one aerial up but thinking of having 2 tellys in the house.
I don't want to put splitters in or fit more cable, Will I have to put another aerial up, or can I use a wireless video sender?

Sponsored Links
Another way - if it's more convenient - is to "daisychain" Freeview receivers.

Aerial --> Freeview --> Freeview

One of these could be out of the way and attached to a videosender.

Sponsored Links
Video senders only work with the output of a tuner (Freeview box / recorder / satellite box etc). They won't take the raw aerial signal and retransmit it if that's what you're thinking.

As Sam Gangee suggested, a Freeview box + a TV sender will work, though the quality can be a bit iffy at times. A coax cable will give a better image.

Incidentally, I'm going to do a job on Saturday to take out a TV sender and install a proper distribution system instead. The customer bought a cheap'ish 2.4GHz sender a while a go but is fed up with the interference from the microwave and the cordless phones.

A second aerial is an option.I think a house with multiple aerials looks ugly but each to their own.

Is it even legal to have more than one external aerial on a house?
One of my neighbours has FIVE aerials stuck around his house. I don't know whether he specifically asked for them or whether he got stitched up by a cowboy. The amusing thing is that some are low-gain "contract" aerials and some are wideband "high gain" Yagis. Why anyone would want a monster Yagi, if a "contract" will do the job, is beyond my comprehension!

They all point in the same direction but the one on the front corner of the house points through the roof. :rolleyes:

Lol..some houses do look like Christmas trees. My two favourites are the mast with aerials so close they're almost touching, and the DIY aerial install: a huge high gain on a spindly little bracket and invariably mounted on the eves because the erstwhile owner hasn't the ladders or the bottle to get on the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back