Self vulcanising puncture repair plugs

Sponsored Links
Never seen them but they sound like a good idea if they are legal over here.

Peter

Back in the late 1950s and 1960s when tubeless tyres first came out, repairs could be carried out using a plug from the outside only. However, it was found that such repairs were unreliable, for two reasons, one that the instructions were not followed and the plug was blowing out, and secondly because damage to the tyre casing, which would have been visible had the tyre been removed and inspected, was causing tyre failure. Thus, all "plugging" had to be done from the inside, and using vulcanising solution on both the plug and the patch, and the tyre casing inspected for damage to the plies. I would therefore suggest this kit does not comply.

Puncture repair kits like these have been available for motorbikes for a while now.....so long as they are applied on the tread contact area (and not the side) they seem to be fine.
I was astonished how much rubber had to be reamed away from the puncture hole though.....it had to be opened to a full 6mm for the plug to go through.
I suppose - at the end of the day - who's to know of the repair? I know someone who will repair a tyre at or beyond the limit of legality.....and as he sounds like a bear with hemorrhoids thats fine by me :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've done quite a bit of googling about these this afternoon.

It seems that bikers love these, so I would have thought that would be a good endorsement if they are trusting these on two wheels at high speed

The yanks are quite fond of them too.

I have not yet found any comments about them failing.

I could not actually find a retailer of that kit linked to in my OP, so have bought a cheap kit off Amazon for £10 to get me going. If the plugs aren't any good, I suppose I could see about some better ones, but at least I'll have the insertion tools

Got my kit and the puncture is repaired. :cool:

More research indicates that the reason these plugs are not used, or stated as being "for off-road use only", is not that they don't work, but due to the fact that British Standard BS AU159 (the rules for repairs to car tyres) states that the tyre must be removed to check for internal damage - so this is what a tyre repair company needs to do

The standard would not apply to DIY :D

So what "internal" damage can a nail or screw do to the tyre? Not much it seems.

Back