Puncture Repair Kits..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought one .. But like a numpty I didn't check what was in the kit. (no vulcanising solution)I looked at the reviews after buying it online, and they all mention buying the vulcanising glue separately to apply (possibly for peace of mind)

Is it the tubes from ordinary bicycle puncture repair kits or do I have to get something special?

I'm not sure if the wicks/plug thingies are self vulcanising.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TYRE-TIRE-P...0105&sr=8-1&keywords=tubeless+tyre+repair+kit

Sponsored Links
It is not legal in UK to repair tyres in this way if they are to be used on the public highway.

I carry a similar product as a strictly get me home remedy on my motorbike, and I've used it once.....the inserts are self vulcanising (assuming they aren't too old) but its also best to use a solution from a standard bike repair kit as its a one off chance you have.
Tip.....develop your skill by using it on an old tyre first, where you can see the inside, and don't be shy to ream the puncture hole by what seems like a crazy amount (5mm dia hole results :eek:)
The rubber strip is then pushed well in, and it forms a loop on the inside so theoretically it cant re-extrude. The solution seems to lube as well as help the sealing process.
Thankfully the system did work for me.....I got some gas into the tyre by using CO2 cartridges, but it took 4 to get 20 psi - but at least I was mobile.
John :)

I have used these kits on my lawn tractor, wheel barrow and the grand kids bikes, no problems.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Its a good move to fill tyres like these with a sealing mousse, Peter .....hated by tyre fitters though! Saves that 'nose diving' feeling when in the middle of the lawn.....

A tip with the tubes of rubber solution. Use it as quickly as possible, squeeze the air out of the top and refit the cap. Seems to last a bit longer that way. Not to be relied on though for emergency roadside repair once opened. Don't ask how I know!

ETA best stuff I ever used was Rema "Tip Top" vulcanising solution. I haven't actually seen any for ages, but it's available online I see.

I don't really have much of a problem with punctures on the tractor John, in spite of our flint ridden land, I did use some of that stuff in my old one but as you say it makes a mess if you do have to take the tyre off.

Peter

I must admit I do have a similar kit, and used it, successfully.

One strange thing is John I have this feeling they are 'permitted' on motorbikes. Never owned one so never had cause to check, as said just a feeling.

At one time punctures were repaired using solid rubber bungs which it was claimed could come out. When inserted the ones asked about by OP form a similar shape to a split pin.

If they are inserted with vulcanising solution, which is how I have ever used them, how the hell can they come out??

That's a very good point Alan, and theoretically the puncture insert cant move at all. As for them being permitted, I just don't know.....maybe its just a con from the tyre manufacturers who consider that as a bike tyre is prone to flexing from all angles and therefore they can't be accountable for any failure.
Presumably any insurer might use that fact to avoid paying out on a claim?
The way I look at it - my bike pushes out around 160 BHP through a 190 section rear tyre so I'd rather not put it to a destruction test!

Back in the 60 / 70's I had a Dunlop tyre plug repair kit, in a cylindrical tin as I recall, complete with fixing solution.
I repaired loads of single point penetration punctures, followed the instructions to the letter - never, ever a problem.
Standard mini, Cooper-S-, and a brace of Sprites.
-0-

Well I wouldn't risk that 1960's technology on my car :unsure: I'd rather use the gunk and airpump supplied by Vauxhall. The tyre repair guys abrade the inside furiously with an air tool then whack a load of vulcanising fluid on and the plug is about 35mm across the inside pulled through on a rubber stem that you see outside in the tread.

Nige I don't think that constitutes a 'proper' repair, same as the old 1960's technology plugs, according to the relevant British Standard.

The tyre mousse is a strictly get you home / to a garage solution......the official puncture repair is the internal plug pulled through the hole, after roughening and vulcanising.
At least I hope it is, just having had one done! :eek: Obviously repairers have to stick to the legislation of where the repair is on the tyre.

Sponsored Links
Back