Corsa C can't get calliper back onto disc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I removed the calliper and changed the disc. Got the old pads out by gently pushing the old one back against the piston to free it up. So far so good.

Problem is the gap between the 2 pads is into sufficient to allow the disc between them. The piston is stuck out still about 2 or 3mm. I'm not sure if its supposed to retract completely flush with the calliper but this would make sense as its only a few mm I need to get the disc between the pads.

Iv tried pushing the piston back with the flat of a spanner and by using the old pad but it wont go any further. I don't want to damage it by forcing it. I have an inkling that I should somehow be turning the piston a certain way is I push but there is nothing to grip as I turn.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it is the front it should go back in with a steady push. Use the old pads and disk as a spacer to ensure the piston doesn't pop out, then with the pedal pump the piston out A LITTLE. Then try again, a little WD40 or similar in under the dirt boot may help.

Get the screwdriver between the pad and disk and lever it back in?

Tried some wd40. The old disc will still get between the old pads but there isnt a lot of room to pump the piston back out. When Iv done this before on other cars Iv been able to just push it back with the flat of a spanner and my my thumbs with my finger gripping the back side ofthe calliper. This is just not going anywhere.

The idea of bringing the piston forward to try and free it up and try again sound like a good one. Im concerned about it 'popping out' though!

If I press the brake pedal with my hand just gently could I bring the piston out without it popping out?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help. Nipped out and bought a c clamp. Pushed it back a further 2mm or so which was all is needed! Calliper back on now and starting the other side.

cheers again.

Back