Can I dig my foundations before I get Building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my plans passed about 3 weeks ago but my architect has been slow to apply for my building regs so now I am hugely behind shedule. Ive been told I can start without regs but at my own risk. So if I dig my footings and get them filled with concrete, how can I prove to the BCO they are deep enough as he will not come out to visit until regs have been approved??

Sponsored Links
The BCO will need to see the trench and ground before filling. Its not just about depth. Whoever told you that you could start is a fool

Put a building notice in if you want to start

I would hazard the architect has told him he could start but has avoided saying he should be putting in a Notice to get the ball rolling. Its common to apply for Regs after Planning is Approved.

The planning department told me I could start but at my own risk, looks like ive gotta wait again then its been 14 months so far :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes you can start BUT

You will then have to dig another hole to show the BCO how deep the foundations are and onto what sort of surface etc. If he is not happen then it will be a VERY VERY expensive mistake to put right. He might also give you short shift for jumping the gun.

Nothing to stop you starting to dig out the foundations to the point you want to put the concrete down but laying the concrete is only asking for problems.

The last thing I want to do is **** off the bco at this early stage, and as the guy who is digging the footings has included the concrete in the price, I'd be a fool to start so I will wait until he can make a visit before i get them dug.

Thanks for all your help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back