Chimney removal - no load bearing wall underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased a house late last year and the chimney breast in the lounge has been removed. We knew this when buying the house (they gave us 'building regs insurance') and we couldn't get them to discount the price further, so we decided to get it done when we moved in.

We've come to the time of having saved up enough and now we've hit some complications. Hindsight. Wonderful. Etc.

Anyway, the house had four chimney breasts, two up and two down. The one at the front of the house has been removed, and what is holding up the one directly above it is anyone's guess. Pixie dust is the latest. However it has been like this for, it would appear, at least 15 years, may be a lot longer, so it's obviously been quite happy (and may, in all fairness, have been done correctly, although we doubt it).

We want to get rid of the chimney breast in that bedroom so as to give us back some space, and thought that it would be the better option to do so as at least the money spent gives us something back as well.

However...the dividing wall between the living room and dining room has been removed. There is a lintel there, but again no building regs (surveyor did NOT pick this up). We can't see what the lintel is, as it's plastered in and decorated over, but the structural engineer we had round to check the chimney breast requirements mentioned that there may not quite be enough space between the lintel and the living room door height (the lintel goes from one solid wall into a wall where there is a door directly below it, about 5-6 inches below the base of the plasterboard case of the lintel).

Due to the dividing wall having been removed and no record of the lintel used (again, this would appear to have been done years ago), he's informed us that we couldn't steel beam the chimney breast in the loft as that would put stress on that wall upstairs in the bedroom, that may or may not be sufficiently supported downstairs. He has instead said that we need Gallows brackets.

I'm sceptical about Gallows brackets, having Googled them, as they don't always appear to be the best solution, that they can cause problems with the next door neighbours flue (and I would imagine that their flues' must run in line with ours, as the chimney breasts are mirrored in their property, which makes me worry about Carbon Monoxide poisoning) and that later on, assuming that whoever then buys the house from the old couple next door wanting to remove their chimney, that then can cause more problems.

Are there no other options to Gallows brackets?

And, equally as concerning, are the Building Regs people going to come round, see that there is a wall missing with no records of it having been removed, and demand that that gets done at the same time (can they do that if it's been done years ago? We have no 'proof' of when it was done, as there is no record at all).

Sorry, long post, but tried to be as detailed as I could.

Sponsored Links
And, equally as concerning, are the Building Regs people going to come round, see that there is a wall missing with no records of it having been removed, and demand that that gets done at the same time (can they do that if it's been done years ago? We have no 'proof' of when it was done, as there is no record at all).

No, they can't come on you after all this time so that's not a problem.

With regard to your description of the structure, it's a bit difficult to follow; pics woud help greatly.

Thanks for the response and good to hear about building regs.

I'll post some pics tomorrow evening when I'm back home. I appreciate it's probably hard to follow (it was hard to describe!)

is this a Victorian terrace.?

Not sure if you are kent but upto last week
mine each side was supported by 2 8x3" wooden beam from outside wall to internal wall then a 5mm steel plate over them to the stack. between the stack was a wood support

Sponsored Links
No, a 1930's semi detached house is our one.

Owning an older house (our previous was a 70's built) has been...interesting! :eek:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back