clay blocks nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please help my hubby is an architect who is stressed beyond belief he is self employed . There is a job he is doing with a building associate and it has been a nightmare from the start for him . He was passed the job by a woman who had plans etc for a big build job but no budget to meet an ambitious project .My hubby redone all the drawings etc so she could have new storey built on top of her home and most importatly she could pay for it. The job started and a few weeks ago hollow clay blocks were found . The job has come to a halt because of this and now all of a sudden he is getting the blame he did not survey the house etc all that was asked of him was to do the drawings . He did not know that there were any clay blocks and if he did know there is no way that he would approve another level going on top . Is there anyone out with experience of this . ( we do have business insurance and the general feeling is that the customer will blame everyone )

Sponsored Links
sorry whats SE he did not see the clay blocks as they were discovered in the wall cavitys he would have seen them if he had x ray eyes LOL

Sponsored Links
its not really anything to laugh about i m feeling slightly hysterical about us being sued for something that isnt our fault

So as previously asked, is a structural engineer involved and what did hubby do to investigate the existing walls/foundations? Are you saying he did nothing to investigate these?

Well he is se after i checked with him but apparently the bungalow had been surveyed before he got involved with it

Well he is se after i checked with him but apparently the bungalow had been surveyed before he got involved with it
So he is an SE and an architect? So as previously asked, what did hubby do to investigate the existing walls/foundations?

Why can't they build on clay blocks? There are lots of two storey clay block builds.

It's normally safe to assume that a relatively modern domestic masonry property can take a first or even second storey, but as a professional, any designer would be expected to make sufficient enquiries to confirm that the existing structure can be built on and that the design is buildable.

Whether the fact that he was only asked to do drawings may be relevant, but it depends on his exact instruction and what would be reasonably expected of him

Is he a proper Architect ie RIBA? if so, he should have followed the RIBA terms of engagement, and plan of work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back