Height of rear extension problems - help!

Sponsored Links
I would point out that my reference to an architectural techician was misunderstood. It was intended to indicate that his local knowledge and knowledge of planning matters guided me through the planning process with no problem. The mention of decking was merely a point made by me to the pre planning meeting I had when I was asked why I needed planning permission at all, I did in fact tell the planner that the roof height was also a problem. There was no intention of any slight on the architectural technician, merely pointing out to the OP that the use of a person such as him would have saved him/her a lot of problems.

Maltaron,

I haven't had any problems yet, as I haven't submitted either for a FPA or a certificate of lawfulness.

The problem arises because my planning consultant says a FPA will be rejected (due to his experience with the council), and we can't get the design we want within PD.

I presume your bungalow is detached. Our house is a victorian terrace, so there is the balance of your needs with that of the neighbours. I still feel that extra height beyond 3m would not impact neighbours because of the drop to the garden but that is only my opinion.

I am not sure why the presumption is that the planner is bad - he has given me his advice and I am just trying to see whether there are any alternate views or where people have had experience with FPAs above the PD limits with terrace homes.

I presume that all councils follow or create their policies based on government guidance but this is difficult to find (in particular in relation to acceptable heights), because every search seems to take you to the PD information which we know not to be sufficient for us.

It may be worth making an appointment with the planning dept for a "pre-planning assessment". This is a free of charge informal meeting to determine the likelyhood (but by no means definate), chance of a planning application succeeding.

Sponsored Links
That is a good suggestion and one we will probably do in the new year.

I am also hoping guidance on the new proposed PD rights to allow terraced extensions up to 6m will come out.

We don't want to go out any further, but having a roof slope from 4m to 3.3m or similar, is the same as the roof sloping 4m down to 3m if the extension went back say 4.5m in total (we just haven't bothered with the last 1.5m of extension), so am hoping this could be our answer (even though still not technically within PD)

Suggest you get hold of the 'Local Plan' these are available online (phone your local Planning department and ask them to email you the link they can be a PITA to find by searching LA websites), this is a document that demonstrates the criteria by which your potential extension will be decided.

In the 2008 GPDO rules, there doesn't seem to be any precise definition of "height", but it is generally taken to mean the highest point of the ground where it meets the building.

The official Technical Guidance notes explain what is meant by height:

" ‘Height’ - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. Ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question. Where ground level is not uniform (e.g. if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building. "

This would mean that in your property you would measure 4m for the highest part from your existing rear wall, but the 3m height of eaves for the extension would be measured immediately adjacent to where the base of the extension wall meets the ground.

Unfortunately, under PD a full width extension will always be restricted to no greater than 3m eaves height. It is sometimes possible to achieve a two storey full width extension if the property has a floor below ground or partly below ground. It sounds like your only other option to increase height is to see about planning permission.

In my experience some planning authorities are willing to accept particularly tall extensions, but you will be subject to various factors such as house orientation (your extension may be refused if it would result in a loss of light to your neighbours windows) however some councils may have preconceived ideas as to what would constitute an un-neighbourly extension height... this can vary wildly and so it would be good to speak with a local planning officer on this.

Alternatively, have you considered re-arranging the internal spaces so that the new extension becomes more separate from the main building - perhaps enlarging or combining other rooms instead to get the space you would like. People often have pre-conceived ideas about how they want to use a space even though there may be perfectly reasonable, novel or even better alternatives! [/i]

Hello, using the quote from the previous post about the official definition of height :

" ‘Height’ - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. Ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question. Where ground level is not uniform (e.g. if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building. "

so which part of the building can be used as the starting point? For a rear extension or perhaps decking, can the ground level at the front of the house be used? For instance a house that is on a hill, so the front door is at ground level but the rear patio door cill would be three feet in the air, can ground level for the purpose of a deck or build be considered to be the level of the front door ground?

I've made it sound complicated but hopefully you'll get me! !:)

thanks . . .

Height is measured from the ground immediately adjacent the proposed work

I have no idea of the regulations, but from the laymans point of view could you not just add a couple of tonnes of topsoil to your garden, then turf it to raise the height of the garden to the level needed.

If you estimate a 2m head height you've got at the moment, you only need an extra 40cm for a workable room.

Don't know what the regs would say about adding height, or how would contain the soil at your boundaries.

I have no idea of the regulations, but from the laymans point of view could you not just add a couple of tonnes of topsoil to your garden, then turf it to raise the height of the garden to the level needed.

If you estimate a 2m head height you've got at the moment, you only need an extra 40cm for a workable room.

Don't know what the regs would say about adding height, or how would contain the soil at your boundaries.
No you cannot just increase the ground level to suit and work off that level. Not legally anyway.

Hi, we are in exactly the same situation. We wouid love to do something dramatic like a split level room.

How did this get resolved in the end? Any other ideas?

Hi, the most recent message in this thread is from two years ago, so the OP has probably disappeared by now. But don't be shy; start your own thread - preferably with plans and photos!

Height of a building is measured from the highest ground level. Eaves height is not as clearly defined. Some council's will assess the maximum eaves height, i.e. if any part of the eaves is over 3 metres in height, and any part of the extension is within 2 metres of the boundary, planning permission may be required.

IIRC, they take the eaves height as the height of the point where the plane of the roof surface intersects the plane of the outer face of the wall - that's the dimension which musn't be more than 3m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back