how to get rid of my builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know where to post this question so sorry if it is the worng question.

We employed a surveyor (ACIOB) to do an extension, the work started in May and should have been finished in August. We agreed on 20k and pay all the money by the end of August even though the last payment should have been given at the end of the work. The work is badly done and really substandard. At the beginning he started putting extra expenses on the quote. Between August and now the workers hardly came. Now we have had enough and his excuse is that we are refusingto give him any more money. he gave us a bill for £7000 minus £1000 credit for work he doesnt want to do like he gave us £80 credit for varnishing 8 doors and 4 cupboards. He added silly extras and the price asked is mad, like £450 for 1 square metre wall.

We wanted to discuss the price but all he wants is money. He was supposed to do a shower room ant put £700 on his original quote. All he did was 1 wall and the pipe for the toilet.We provided bricks , cement and the machine to drill the concrete, he left it like this and he added another £900. We don't wnt to pay him. We have no money for a lawyer and it's not worth it. He gave us a quote by email, quote he had written on a piece of paper with prices , a total, no vat mentionned.

How can we get rid of him? we are thinking og aying a surveyor who would look at his quote and extra and the work he has done so far. but then what do we do? can he sue us for not paying? he is convinced he did a good work. any advice would be great. Trading agency have been of no help. He has unqualifies workers who do everything from plumbing plastering to electricity. hey used to come at anytime and not everyday.

So far he has done the foundations walls, roof is not really complete, there is nothing inside, heput the sink, and charged us an extra £120 to put a sort of unit undeneath the sink. I will put pictures later.

Sponsored Links
:cry: seriously - try one of the TV " expose a rogue " shows . I mean , he`s had that much already , he surely don`t think he can screw more out of you .It`ll cost you a fortune to go to Law

Sponsored Links
That would take months, we would like to fix the work ourselves but can't until we get rid of him. He thinks he is in the right. I have my doubts he will take us to court because anyone visiting my property would see all the susbstandard work he has done. the list is really long.

So how big was this extension? Do you have before and after pictures of the location of the extension and pictures of what you consider sub standard?

Think you've probably made a rod for your own back having let this go on for so long and paid him so much already.

Yes we have pictures. It's 5m by 2.70. He wants his money even if he is not coming back.

Sorry to hear about your plight. May I ask what you feel is substandard about the job?

the list is long, the felt on the roof is not properly done. he is supposed to put all units in kitchen and it's part of the quote, but he still want £150 for the unit heput under the sink (look at picture), he used the wrong size pipe for boiler and the heating is not fully working, we also have 2 leaks.

he was supposed to do a shower room, and now he wants an additional £900 on top of the £700 he quoted, so it's £1600 so far but it's stays as it is on the picture. Also I have 2 leaks and it goes on and on.

Generally ...

Don't pay for what you have not agreed
Don't pay for what was not contractually agreed
Don't pay for work not complete, or services not preformed

Negotiate on paying for what you think you should not pay for
Negotiate on paying for what you think is substandard

For the last two, you need to negotiate because what you think may be unacceptable, may be acceptable.

Then if you are adamant that you should not have to pay, then don't.

If you are not sure on the standard or work or contract liabilities, engage another independent qualified person to report on the work and contract.

Complain to the CIOB too if you feel the service was not professional

Thanks for this.

When you say do not pay for what was not agreed. For example the unit under the sink we never agreed we would have to pay for it. Same with many others things, and when he said it would cost more to do the drainage he never said actually how muh more until the wrk was complete. Nothing was in written apart from the original quote.
We paid everything from the quote.
Now he added over £7000 for "extras" as he call it, gave us £1000 for work he does not want to do anymore, but little credit.

So How can we go around this? we want to write him an official letter stating what he has not finished, and all the extras we never agreed on in writting.

i am adding more pictures. Istill need to add pictures for the roof.
He is not prepared to co me back unless we give him money, and theres no negaition about the price he said.

For half the garden wall, he wants us to pay £450 which we never agreed on, and the second hlf which we did ourselves he wanted another £450.

For the shower room, the wall at the end of teh room, he wants £450 and we have him the bricks and cement, this wa part of the original quote, he
wasn't going to put bricks but because we wanted bricks we bought the bricks.

I can't figure out why anyone would leave junction boxes with additional wires hanging from the ceiling, is there to be a false ceiling or something? Even still, screw terminals aren't meant to be used in areas which are not accessible.

As some of the electrical work is in a kitchen and a shower room is he using an electrician who can self certify compliance with part p of the building regulations?

Is that light switch which isn't screwed back live? If so it is criminal to leave it like that. Also makes my attempts at plastering look good :D

Thanks for this. I am just googling now on evrything and what to tell him.
I still do not have fuse box for extension and no certificate for gas (some radiators not working and he told us we would have at our own costs to upgrade the pipes). He is convinced we have to pay him.
It's been dragging on for 9 months and he says it's our fault because we are not giving him any money.
The picture next to the cooker is where the main drain is. They have boxed it, and there are 2 leaks, also i had to try to close the bottom as mice were entering the property.
The wiindow is not fixed properly and they have damaged the door.

I can't figure out why anyone would leave junction boxes with additional wires hanging from the ceiling, is there to be a false ceiling or something? Even still, screw terminals aren't meant to be used in areas which are not accessible.

As some of the electrical work is in a kitchen and a shower room is he using an electrician who can self certify compliance with part p of the building regulations?

Is that light switch which isn't screwed back live? If so it is criminal to leave it like that. Also makes my attempts at plastering look good :D

The guys who dod the electrics are the guys who did the plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back