Kitchen layout building regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I plan to relocate the kitchen in my flat to a different room and believe I need to follow building regulations.

I have had a layout drawn up by a kitchen design place but I have now been advised that the layout will not comply with regulations due to the space between units.

Please can anyone assist clarifying:

The room is rectangular with a window on one end wall and the entrance in the middle of an adjacent side wall.
The proposed layout is to have a row of units along the end wall opposite to the window (3.5m which is the full length of the end walls) and row of wall units above. Also a peninsula of 3 units parallel to the other units leaving a gap of 1.2m between. The area between the peninsula and the end (window) wall will be the dining area.

I am now being advised that the space between the units must be 1.4m rather than 1.2m .... which would leave the space for dining area somewhat cramped.

Grateful for advice as to the correct information.

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of any building regulations or others relating to kitchen layouts.

What specific regulations are being referred to?

Thanks for response.

I'm just realising it may be different in Scotland..

I found this publication "Domestic Handbook 2011 - Complete book" linked to from this web page:
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/B...ng/Building-standards/techbooks/techhandbooks

..which has requirements for manoeuvering areas to allow wheelchair access. I think this applies to me as I am completely re-locating the kitchen to another room as opposed to just replacing my existing kitchen.

It seems to me there is a requirement for a 'turning circle or ellipse' 1.5m*1.5m or 1.4m*1.8m withing the kitchen... but that this turning circle or elipse does not specifically need to be between the 2 rows of units..

grateful for advice.. I'm not sure if I'm reading the right document etc..

Sponsored Links
Someone more familiar with the Scottish regs may correct me if I'm wrong, but the building regulations would only apply to new build work, and would only apply to a kitchen refurb if that work itself was subject to a building regulation application

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back