long established loft rooms usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in a 150 year old house, if the loft was converted to a bedroom say 50 years ago, can you use it as a bedroom now?

Or does it have to conform with the building regs of today to be used?

Sponsored Links
You can use it as a bedroom with no problem. The time has long passed from when the council could do anything about it.

You can use it as a bedroom with no problem. The time has long passed from when the council could do anything about it.

thanks :) does the same argument apply if the property is tenanted and the tenants use the loft room as a bedroom?

My comment was regarding aspects such as planning permission and bulding regulations.
Regardless of these, landlords still have a duty of care to tenants as regards safety. Loft conversions can be problematic because of fire safety issues.

Sponsored Links
My comment was regarding aspects such as planning permission and bulding regulations.
Regardless of these, landlords still have a duty of care to tenants as regards safety. Loft conversions can be problematic because of fire safety issues.

ok thats what I was thinking so it would be subject to a council inspection? and I'm presuming if there were no fire escape facillities ie at very top of 3 storie house with only the loft access it would be deemed unfit, which is fair enough..

The rules for letting are governed by environmental health. Even properties that fully comply with building regs don't always satisfy EH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back