Loft conversion not classed as a bedroom, not sure why

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just viewed a house today with the intention of putting an offer in. its down as a 2 bedroom house but the attic has been converted into a room with stair case ample head height velux windows in the roof.

I'm just unclear why this is not classed a s a bedroom when its clearly been used as one prior to now. there is a stair case and hand rail/ ballustrading around the opening of the stairs, head height. There was no door actually in the room but at the bottom of the loft stair case was a door.

Just wondering if any one new of a website i could look at that has all the necessary criteria covered for a loft conversion to be classed as a bedroom, just to see what is lacking, or any advise would be great thanks. Don't want end up with a house that i want to convert to 3 bedrooms but cant for some reason.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Presumably it has been converted without the necessary building regs (and planning permission if required).

e.g. Are the floor joists adaquate for a habitable room and who did the electrics?

I wqould ask the estate agent when the room was converted. If the existing owner did the work ask whether it complied with building regs, if they didn't do the work ask whether previous owners got sign off from council.

Surely your agent would or should be able to answer that?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back