Next doors builders are using my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbours are having an extension built and I came home one evening to find that the builders had used my garden to store their bricks, sand and cement. No one asked my permission even though they see me every morning when I leave for work. The next evening I come home from work and find out that they have blocked my back door with bricks, sand and cement. I have a child and was worried about not being able to get out due to an emergency. I sent my neighbour a rather angry text message and he apologised and got the foreman to ring me, he also apologised and said unfortunately they need access to my garden, again it would have been nice to have been asked, not told! It has been a week and they are using my garden as a builders yard, with bricks, cement, tarpauling, planks of wood, small scaffolding and cement on my paving stones. Dont want to create hell but I feel they are really taking the 'P' especially as they can see I am single woman with a child. I am not sure what my rights are, the foreman has said that they will put my garden back to its orginal state when they are finished.

Sponsored Links
Take lots of photographs, they have NO legal right to use your garden. They should compensate and make good any damage.

If you don't want stuff there, tell them to remove it right now, they certainly shouldn't be storing anything there.

Might be worth a trip to CAB / Solicitor for an hours consultation but it depends on how much you value the relationship with your neighbour.

Charge them rent, payable up front! £100 a week, should see them getting their skates on.

They are tresspassing.

If they NEED to use your garden they must gain your permission and yes, I'd consider charging rent for use for sure - you are being inconvenienced and you should be appropriately renumerated for that. don't stop at £100.00 though...

Consider an appropriate land rental rate - and draw up a simple set of terms for them to sign. This should include putting right any damage they cause!!!

If they do not want to sign then let them know they are free to remove their items... failing that, I'd feel free to sell anything left on your property that you do not want.

Sponsored Links
make up a bloody huge sign and put it outside your house,saying.

BUILDING MATERIALS FOR SALE,NO SERIOUS OFFERS REFUSED,then when they ask why say,as there on my land i have the right to dispose of them.
personally i think your neighbours taking the rise out of you aswell,because surly if he has apologized then WHY are they still on your land??and why hasnt he made sure there not removed.

Worra cheek.

We do all we can to humour, pacify, compliment or even self humiliate just so we can use a neighbouring property to erect scaffold etc.

However at no time do we take the P.

These people are ignorant and need teaching a lesson in manners.

Worra cheek.

We do all we can to humour, pacify, compliment or even self humiliate just so we can use a neighbouring property to erect scaffold etc.

However at no time do we take the P.

These people are ignorant and need teaching a lesson in manners.
I second that. Tell them to clear out and don't bother coming back until they can learn some manners.

Perhaps give them away for free.

Your local Freegle or Freecycle site will get you loads of people wanting them. lol

Thank you all for your replies, I called my neighbour and told him that I would be charging the builders rent for using my garden and that they had all taken the P and that I had had enough and would consider one of the many offers I had from friends to come and clear my garden........ when I got in from work my garden was clear of any builders materials and the patio and paving stones where washed and clean almost like they had never been there.

I will be keep the photographic evidence!

Thank you so much for all your advice. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back