Soakaway positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has built an extension. It runs round the rear of the building and down 1/2 the side and drains down a downpipe and also onto the garage roof which slopes to the front and then drains down a downpipe at the edge of the property.

The garage is ajoined onto the side of the building.

The front of the semidetached is a garden 6.5 metres from the pavement and 4 meters across the building and garage.

The garden slopes 1 in 4 down from the pavement to the building.

Neighboring buildings are 1 meter from the garage on one side and 3 inches in the other side.

The neighbour on the other side has an extension at the front of about 1.5 meter in front of the building.

Currently the soakaway, if connected to the downpipe, is 1.5 meters from the neighbours building and 2.5 meters from their own building but the downpipe may not be connected at all when it would be 1 meter from the other neighbours building.

The soil is clay.

I had building control involved and they state that this is ok!

I would seek your opinion on the location and whether a soakaway is a viable option.

Regards

Ian

Sponsored Links
Firstly few of your numerous attempts at explaining the layout with dimension from here or there and pipes here or there etc make sense.

Generally soakaways in clay do not work that well but sometimes they do. Was a percolation test done? Generally they should be 5m from a highway or building. If this is your neighbour and their extension how did you get BC involved and why are you involved? In any case how does someone's (professional or otherwise) opinion off a forum help?

freddymercury....

Thanks for the info.

I will prepare a detailed drawing and post it as soon as I can.

Percolation tests were not performed.

I am one of the neighbours and believed that the soakaway would be closer than 5 meters from my building.

I questioned the position of the soakaway with Building Control who were managing the extension.

While I realise the forum is not a "definitive ruling - it will confirm whether there is a case to follow or if I am "over sensitive".

Hi,

I have added a very rough diagram in an album named soakaway under my id in the forum. Unfortunately I dont know how to reference it here.[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back