Taking a survey help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Surveyors/Engineers/Architects,
I have started recently to do measurements surveys for residential houses. I have worked with an architect and an engineer an both make a plan sketch on site, put the measurements on it and then go back to the office and transfer it into AutoCAD. This can be time consuming.

However, I have been out with a surveyor recently and he took all the measurements on AutoCAD immediately i.e. he produced to-scale floor plan while taking the measurements.
All he used is a laptop and a laser measurement device, however I am not sure if the device transfers that data into the laptop immediately or he inputs it by himself?

Any good advice from somebody who does this would be greatly appreciated and it will save me a substantial amount of time. Thanks

Regards,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
It will cost you a substantial amount of money too. It depends how many surveys you are doing as to whether it pays for itself or not.

Surveyors are doing nothing but surveys so this is their bread and butter.

Also, the typical drawings that leave a surveyors office whilst accurate (hopefully) are pretty crude in appearance and need work to make them presentable. I'm yet to see a survey from a surveyor that didn't need additional work, except my own of course! ;)

It will cost you a substantial amount of money too. It depends how many surveys you are doing as to whether it pays for itself or not.

Surveyors are doing nothing but surveys so this is their bread and butter.
Exactly, hiring a surveyor is costly that's why I need to to do it by myself.

Sponsored Links
You gotta get the proper kit then if you're a surveyor then wouldn't you say? Or you'll not be competitive. There are various systems out there, I have considered dabbling into this myself but I don't really do enough to justify the prices.

You gotta get the proper kit then if you're a surveyor then wouldn't you say? Or you'll not be competitive. There are various systems out there, I have considered dabbling into this myself but I don't really do enough to justify the prices.

OK thanks, would you be able to introduce me to these various systems? do you have a page link?

Sorry you'll have to have a google or wait for the others to contribute tom. Its a while since I last looked.

I've been looking at the Leica Disto D3a BT myself, is this what a lot of people are using these days? Would you say its worth the money if doing a lot of surveys?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back