Wood Burner & Fluie Installation - Under Building Notice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're building an extension and as part of that have done away with the original brick chimney in favour of a freestanding install, comprising mainly twin-wall flue.

I'm reading Document J, but it reads exactly as though it was written by someone in a suit that has never been near a flue, but instead digested a thesaurus.

I'm well aware of the obvious points, but need a bit of guidance regarding a couple of things :-

I'd planned to install an air vent to supply air to the stove, in order to prevent draughts. This is to be a 310x29mm flat duct, terminating at a 100mm round spigot. This was to finish directly under the stove, either with a hit-miss style grille, or better still a direct air closed combustion kit. It's a bit tricky as we haven't chosen the stove yet, so planning the exact position of this vent is difficult. Obviously I favour a closed combustion kit, but if we finish up with a grille, is it OK for this to be directly beneath the stove? Document J indicates that it is preferable for it to be outside the hearth area, but it doesn't clearly state whether this is a requirement or a recommendation and just refers to draughts upsetting the dust/ash.

The flue will pass through the loft space and out through the tiled roof. I'm OK with all of this, but, due to the shallow pitch of the roof (15 degrees), it is proving very difficult to get enough length on the flue. I reckon it will finish at about 3.5-3.8m. I know 4.5m is preferable, but will sub 4m really cause a problem? Taking into account that I'm going overkill on the air supply and it will be a decent quality stove too. I could put more than a meter of flue outside, but I don't want to look like a fish-and-chip shop. Also, greater than a meter will want additional support I guess, which is tricky with the shallow roof.

How big a hole needs to be cut in the plasterboard ceiling to pass the 200mm twin wall through? Does it need 50mm clearance all round? Therefore a 300mm hole?

Thats all for now. Any help appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
suspect guidance from local building regs would be a good idea as there interpretation is the only one that counts when passing an instillation

Would be lovely if they knew the answers. Sadly though, all they are doing is reguritating Document J, which I have already read.

I genuinely think that on this one, they don't really know and I don't really have the energy to keep on at them!

might be cheaper and easier to have it installed by a hetas engineer maybe not price wise but sanity wise :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's a bit tricky as we haven't chosen the stove yet, so planning the exact position of this vent is difficult. Obviously I favour a closed combustion kit, but if we finish up with a grille, is it OK for this to be directly beneath the stove? Document J indicates that it is preferable for it to be outside the hearth area, but it doesn't clearly state whether this is a requirement or a recommendation

You need to chose your stove first. Doc J are just suggested guidelines. By the sounds of it you may be best leaving this to a HETAS bod.

I've just been through the process of considering a wood stove - also for a single floor property with a 15deg. roof.
I arranged to get a survey first from a large local wood stove supplier. This cost £30, which was refundable if I placed an order with them.
It really was money well spent, as, firstly, it turned out we had seriously overestimated the size of stove we'd need, and secondly the surveyor was able to advise exactly what we could do in terms of positioning and flue pipe spec etc. to meet regulations.
I would strongly suggest you also use a surveyor, or you could make some very expensive mistakes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back