2 storey planning question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at buying a house currently and before I put in an offer I wanted to know if I could potentially extend the house without any major planning problems. I know I have to go through a whole process but maybe someone on here did something similar already.

Anyone on here who can give me an idea if they think I would get planning for this type of change please?

http://db.tt/odDQF31Y

It's bascially a two storey front to back extension. It has a public alley way along the side so therefore the nearest neighbour is a few meters away so I guess that makes it a bit easier for planning? Its 3x5 meters in size by the way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Extensions must be subservient, so it would have to be set back and a lower roof than the original (stupid I know!) but the only real way to identify whether or not it would be approved is to apply. You could use your councils pre-application service (if you can manage to get them to respond) to get some way there and then apply for permission if it looks like they may be in favour.

I believe you can apply for permission before you buy, though obviously that will take time. I wouldn't buy a house on the assumption that I would get an extension built when not having that extension would make the difference between buying and not buying.

Thanks for the info and I see what you saying now by subservient after doing an image search. I guess it does make the house less imposing that way so maybe that is why the planners want it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Although the case in a lot of council's, North Bristol which now falls under South Glos Council, this is certainly not the case and we built a number of extensions there last year that were not subservient at all. No harm in asking the question....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back