Beam fire protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Working on a factory built in 1990. The beams are boarded and was wondering if I need to check them make sure nothing nasty like asbestos before drilling. As said they are 1990 or newer and the are white in colour and where damaged they look very similar to the suspended ceiling tile material. Sorta soft fibre not hard.

They also have a ridge so each board over laps each other. I know test is only way but didn't know what chance of it being it was.

Sponsored Links
Found this statement on 'asbestos.com'

Asbestos prohibition laws in the United Kingdom were first introduced in the mid-1980s. In 1985, the UK banned the import and use of both blue (crocidolite) and brown (amosite) asbestos. This rule was replaced in 1992 with a law that also banned some uses of white (chrysotile) asbestos, traditionally considered less lethal than the other forms of the mineral. In 1999, the government decided, with no exceptions, to ban the use and import of chrysotile asbestos.

So it looks like white asbestos may have been used in 1990 but there is a very similar looking board called, I think, master board(?) that is cement based. Not carcinogenic but you need to take dust precautions because of the cement content.

I'd get it tested so there are no come backs.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

....traditionally considered less lethal than the other forms of the mineral.
Doesn't that mean it will still kill you, just take a bit longer?

I'd get it tested so there are no come backs.
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif

Asbestos is the biggest on the job killer of trades people in the UK. Each week on average it kills 20 tradesmen, including 4 plumbers, 6 electricians and 8 joiners.

Don’t dismiss it as a thing of the past, it’s still a very real and dangerous threat ... It could be present in any building built or refurbished before the year 2000. In good condition, undisturbed and properly managed, asbestos does not pose a significant health risk. Those most at risk are tradesmen such as joiners, electricians and plumbers who routinely disturb the fabric of buildings as part of their work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back