Best way to drill a 7" - 8" hole in a Stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I live in a old Georgian building and need to drill a 7" - 8" whole for our cats to use to get from our hallway into the celler where there cat litter is.

What's the best way of doing this ? I have a big SDS drill and have looked into hole saws but there not cheap and most don't even go that large.

The wall is about 2-3ft thick and made of stone and rubble from the look of it...any idea how I would cut through this and then reinforce the hole so it doesn't collapse on my poor kitty ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
yes it would be easier but I have just spend 3 days and £300 fittting a brand new oak door that everyone see's as they walk into the hallway :)

Having a plastic cat flap cut into it would look awful so now i'm on to plan B :)

I have seen people remove a pane from a window and put plywood with a cat flap cut into it there. Doesn't look great but if it's a side window it might be better than the alternative.

Sponsored Links
I think the required tool is a large sds drill!

Not sure a diamond hole cutter would do it, but an hour with a 20mm sds drill might....

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back