Can I turn an airbrick into a catflap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I know there have been previous posts about catflaps in walls but this is a new twist......I have an airbrick in the outer cavity with a concrete tunnel from the inside to the outside, so in theory all I would have to do is knock out the gridwork within the airbrick and fit a catflap. But is the airbrick likely to be loadbearing in anyway and would I need to fit a lintle?
This is driving me somewhat insane so if anyone could shed any light that would be great!

Sponsored Links
Your wall won't fall down even if you remove the whole airbrick.

I believe cats can technically get through a hole no bigger than their head but will he actually be happy to crawl through such a slim opening on a regular basis? ie if he was being chased he may get though but would he be prepared to otherwise? Why not just core drill a suitably sized hole through?

I'm lucky that its one of the square airbricks c220mm x 220mm so sounds like an easy ish job (hopefully!). thanks for your reply

As freddie says the air brick isn't load bearing in the way you're thinking. What do you have on the inside, a plastic grill type vent cover?

Bet there'll be quite a draft through it by the time you've made it into the cat's front door :D

Sponsored Links
Wooo-hoo. Done and siliconed. Not bad for a girl! Thanks for all the help!
PS - less draughty now as it was just an open hole on the inside and wide brick gid on the outside so a bit less draughty which is a bonus. Cat won't go near the damn thing yet though. Will have to put her dinner the other side until she either starves or gives in and goes through!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back